UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: birdmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17951  
Subject: Re: Non-renewal of homeowner's ins due to dog Date: 10/11/2004 6:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Ask your carrier for a "waiver" on the dog, i.e. no liability on the dog, aka you self insure.

This sounded like a plan, so I called today. My current carrier gave me a quote of $1,565! This is them not including the dog, but they know I have it. Geez...

So I checked with my mortgage company because they offer insurance services. No go with the dog. The rep suggested that I call the big companies like State Farm or Allstate.

I went back to my email quotes and called one. He suggested that I fill out the forms they sent and fax them in and he'd see what they could do. The forms had a specific list of dogs they would not provide coverage for:

"Akita, Bull Mastiff, Bull, Terrier, Chow, Doberman, Pinscher, Pit Bull, American Pitt Bull Terrier, Rottweiler, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Wolf or Wolf breed."

I asked if the Malalute was considered a "Wolf breed" and he said no. So, I faxed the forms to him. His quote was for $581.

The last email quote was from an Allstate agent. I called her and asked if the quote was still good. She said yes. I asked what the price difference would be if I raised the deductible to $1,000 from $500 and the quote went down from $682 to $590. I said I'd take it and what did I have to do? She asked for info to confirm I had no claims in the last 5 years and I was on hold while she confirmed that. She asked if I had a dog (Aaack!). I said yes and described the one as a Retreiver/Aussie/Lab/? mix and the other as a Malamute mix. She did not flinch. She asked me to fax my current insurance dec sheet and told me I could pay by the month, send a check for the total or use a credit or debit card. I told her I needed to transfer some money and I'd call by Friday to pay by debit card. So it looks like I'll have insurance in place for a reasonable cost.

The other questions I kept getting related to type of plumbing pipe (galvanized), fuse box or circuit breakers (both) and roof (composition). The house was built in 1930. It's starting to look like I'm going to have to rip out perfectly function piping and wiring if this keeps up. Several co-workers have mentioned that their insurance prices have almost doubled if they have shake roofs.

Judi
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement