UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: nutsandbolts Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190322  
Subject: Ask.com Date: 1/29/2013 8:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Ask has embedded itself into my computer and I cannot get rid of it and back to Firefox. This happened without my knowledge, or if I did something wrong I am not aware of it. I have been trying for 2 hours to remove Ask as my browser.

I am not computer wise but need help.

Would appreciate any help and thanks in advance
Print the post Back To Top
Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183570 of 190322
Subject: Re: Ask.com Date: 1/29/2013 8:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Run this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

You do mean you search engine and not your browser or do you mean your home page.

You got it when you DL'd something and kept hitting next rather than reading the boxes.

Author: nutsandbolts Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183571 of 190322
Subject: Re: Ask.com Date: 1/29/2013 9:36 PM
Yes, my search engine which was Firefox.

I followed your directions and it appeared it got hung up on 99% completed but then congratulated me for downloading FLV
a dialog box appeared saying the following:

C:\Users\Brooks~1\AppData\Local\Temp\IS1590~1uninstaller.exe

....and I still have Ask as my search engine

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183572 of 190322
Subject: Re: Ask.com Date: 1/29/2013 9:45 PM
Yes, my search engine which was Firefox.

Firefox is not a search engine. It's a browser.

Ask, on the other hand, is a search engine - the one you use if you really have no interest in the question. (It also won't tell you why you bothered to use a search engine.)

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183573 of 190322
Subject: Re: Ask.com Date: 1/29/2013 10:58 PM
You have to let ADW fix the problems after u run the scan

In FireFoxyou have to go to the search box. use the pull down to manage serach and then remove all but Google.

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183579 of 190322
Subject: Re: Ask.com Date: 1/30/2013 1:22 PM
Recommendations: 11
Ask embeds itself when you upgrade or install Flash or a couple of other Adobe add-ons.

First off, Firefox is your browser, and Ask is a search engine. When you installed the Flash upgrade (or whatever it was) it installed the Ask toolbar and set Ask as your homepage.

You can reset your homepage as follows:

In the Firefox browser menu bar, select "Tools" and then "Options" from the drop down menu. Navigate to the "Main" tab and then type your desired home page in the "Home page:" form at the top of the window.

Ask is best removed at the Windows operating level. You can open your control panel and remove it from the menu there. In the list below there is a method for removing it from inside the browser which may or may not work.

You didn't say which version of Windows you're running, so heres a cut-and-paste for all of them:

If you have the Windows 7 or Vista operating system:

Go to the Start Menu and select Control Panel
Under Programs or Programs and Features click on Uninstall a program
Select the Ask Toolbar (or our partner’s brand for a custom Toolbar), then select Uninstall/Change and then, when prompted, click Yes or Uninstall

If you have the Windows XP operating system:

Click the Add or Remove Programs icon
Select the Ask Toolbar (or our partner’s brand for a custom Toolbar), then click on the Remove or Change/Remove

If you have the Windows XP in Classic View or Windows 95 or 98 operating system:

Go to the Start Menu and select Settings, and then Control Panel
Select the Add or Remove Programs
Select/highlight the Ask Toolbar (or our partner’s brand for a custom Toolbar) and click on the Remove button
Follow the prompts to uninstall the Ask Toolbar

If you have the Windows Vista operating system:

Close all open Web browsers
Under the Programs icon, select Uninstall a program
Select the program with the Ask logo and the text Ask Toolbar (or our partner’s brand for a custom Toolbar)

Here's the method for removing the toolbar from within the browser (Firefox, remember?)

Click on the chevron (down arrow) on the Option button on the toolbar
Select Uninstall from the drop down menu
Click Yes when asked "Are you sure you want to uninstall this product"
Close all open web browsers
Click OK on the popup window

Once you have uninstalled the Ask Toolbar reboot your computer to make sure the registry is updated.

If none of the above works, or it hangs up, or the toolbar is still there, you can use this utility to remove it. If you click on this link it wiil instantly download the tool. Don't do that unless the procedure above didn't work.

http://apnmedia.ask.com/media/toolbar/utilities/ToolbarUtili...

Rip

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement