Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ksgrothe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 182  
Subject: Asking for a Rent Reduction Date: 5/9/2005 7:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I asked for and got a rent reduction in December of 2003. I had looked at an apartment that had one more bathroom and one more parking space than the apartment I currently live in but was about $200/month less in rent. I also was a bit concerned about affording the rent I was paying at that time on my current apartment after my then-husband had moved out.

So, armed with the information on the other apartment in my neighborhood and having noticed that there were a lot of apartments for rent in general in the neighborhood, I asked the building managers (the landlord and landlady's daughter and son-in-law who live in the building) if their parents would consider reducing the rent. They reduced the rent on my current apartment by about $158/month starting in January of 2004.

Now, I bring this up because I told this story to another renter about my age (mid-30s), and she said she would never even have thought to ask for a reduction in rent. So that got me wondering if such negotiating is really all that rare.

Has anyone else ever requested a rent reduction? If so, did you get it?

- KG, wondering if anyone still reads this board
Print the post Back To Top
Author: stan002 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 173 of 182
Subject: Re: Asking for a Rent Reduction Date: 5/9/2005 10:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I (well, my wife specifically) asked for less of an increase once. Not quite the same but it falls in the general category of negotiating rent.

Author: ksgrothe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 174 of 182
Subject: Re: Asking for a Rent Reduction Date: 5/10/2005 2:27 AM
I (well, my wife specifically) asked for less of an increase once. Not quite the same but it falls in the general category of negotiating rent.

Actually, now that I think about it, my X and I did that once too. Our landlord at that time wanted to raise our rent some ridiculous amount, and we managed to talk him into a lesser ridiculous amount. We still paid too much rent that year, but we were in a nice large place for an extra year after our second child was born. After two years there, we had to move though because the greedy landlord wanted to raise our rent to a ridiculous level the following year, too. We couldn't talk him out of it that year.

- KG

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement