UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 101PFDR Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Asset allocations Date: 10/29/2007 4:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello all, I was hoping to reap some of the wealth of knowledge available on this board.

In order to understand the questions I have first let me tell you a little about myself. I am 26 years old, and have been enlisted in the Army for several years. I am planning on staying in the remaining 13 years and receiving a retirement pension. In my investment planning portfolio, I consider my retirement pay the equivalent of a bond investment in terms of stability and reliability.

As of date, I am putting away $500 a month towards a taxable account dealing primarily (though not exclusively) in large-cap value (ala BMW method). This account is used as a semi-liquid account for large purchases such as cars and down payments on real-estate properties which we intend to hold onto and manage with each new PCS move. As well as a second tier security blanket (We have a short term security account ala Dave Ramsey)

I’m also currently allocating $100 a month into VFINZ into my IRA. I am due for a promotion soon and wish to increase my IRA deposits, now this is where my questions begin.

1. Since I am dealing with mostly American Blue Chip stocks in my taxable account, should I continue to maintain an investment into the S&P 500 in my IRA?

2. I am very risk tolerant due to my future pension. Should I consider International Stocks and Emerging markets? Should I consider investing my entire IRA accounts in foreign mutual funds? And if so, I would appreciate any recommendations as to which ones.

3. In regards to 2, the Emerging market funds have had an extraordinary year to date, should I take the plunge now or wait until the market slows (I know it is next to impossible to time the market). After the initial opening minimum is paid, I will be dollar cost averaging.

4. Finally, I have been investing with Vanguard and have had a comfortable experience with them, should I diversify my IRA’s outside of this company or does it really matter whom I go through (as long as the returns and fees are acceptable).

Thank You in Advance,
Mike
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement