No. of Recommendations: 1
Well, I’ve confused myself yet again. It doesn’t take much…haha.

This year’s market is now closed, so I’m seeing how I did this year and am already setting up my Excel spreadsheet for 2016.

My 2015 returns will probably dictate how much I have to drink to night – the difference is a lot v. a heck of a lot (no worries, I am not driving and will not have to get my stomach pumped).

Hopefully, someone can explain the proper way to calculate a stock’s return for a given year, as well as its lifetime return, over multiple years, using the cost-basis.

I’ll provide an example, along with numbers, to illustrate my questions.

We will start with the 2015 analysis, which I think is pretty simple(or maybe I am wrong and messing it up?).

On 1/4/15, I purchased 10 shares of XYZ corp. It was trading for $50.00 a share. It pays a dividend.

My broker charges $6.95 a trade. I get free dividend re-investments, but they do increase my cost-basis.

So, my initial investment on 1/4/15 is worth $500.00, and my initial cost-basis is $506.95.

As a result of re-investing its dividends and share appreciation, on 12/31/15, my position in XYZ corp. is worth $550.00.

As a result of re-investing dividends my cost-basis increased from $506.95 to $515.00.

The 2015 return for this position and the position’s lifetime return is the same, because there is just one year.

To calculate the yearly/lifetime return, I used the following formula:

$550.00 (position’s 12/31/15 value) - $515.00 (12/31/15 cost-basis) / $515.00 X 100 = 6.80% return

• Is this analysis correct???

Now, here is where I am getting confused.

Let’s pretend it is a year from now (Dec. 2016) and the Cubs still haven’t won the series in over 100 years.

So, it is now 12/31/16, and I want to calculate two things:

(1) I want to calculate XYZ Corp’s return for JUST 2016; &

(2) XYZ Corp’s return for my lifetime holding it (1/4/15 through 12/31/16).

Here is the applicable information.

1/4/15 position value: $500.00
1/4/15 cost basis: $506.95

1/4/16 position value: $550.00
1/4/16 cost-basis: $515.00

12/31/16 position value: $540.00
12/31/16 cost basis: $520.00

As you can see, the total position value decreased in 2016, but is still up for its lifetime. The cost-basis increased again, because the dividends paid were also re-invested.

Again, utilizing the cost-basis(es), please help me calculate and include the formula(s) for:

(1) XYZ’s return JUST for 2016; and

(2) XYZ’s lifetime return in my portfolio.

I appreciate the assistance. I’m sure this is simple and I’m just overlooking something. Have a Happy and prosperous New Year!
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement