No. of Recommendations: 0
Assuming that these are E or EE bonds, she will pay ordinary income tax on the gains from the bonds. That is what is received for the bonds minus what she paid for them.
At that point she can do whatever she wants with the money. She will not be able to directly contribute to her 401k since that can only be done from payroll deductions. Contributing to a Roth IRA is a great idea.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.