Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122220  
Subject: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 12:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I don't really expect any answers, but I'm having a difficult time with my boy cat, Bocephus. He's had this thing about peeing on beds, and we've dealt with it by giving him cat prozac and trying to keep him out of bedrooms unless there's supervision. I was gone for a couple weeks, and when I returned, Bocephus was having terrible fights with our other cat, Sasha. They've never been fond of each other, but lived together in some kind of truce. Since I've been back, Sasha snarls and growls and hisses if Bo even glances in her direction. Every once in a while, he chases her around, and they get to the point of swiping at each other.

We had Sasha for two years before Bo came into the household, but he's six years old now, and they've been together, indoor cats, for years.

For now, we're keeping them separated when we're not there to supervise. That means Bo is generally in a bathroom most of the day, since he pees, and has started doing more of it in the last couple weeks.

I just don't think this will work long-term. Bo can't be cooped up. I'm not sure it's all his fault (although DH is certain it must be). We couldn't give Bo away, because no one would want a cat with his bad habits.

And the difficult part is that he's a really nice cat in so many ways. He's affectionate and playful. He's much more friendly to people than Sasha is.

Gail
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: blue3dragon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120024 of 122220
Subject: Re: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 12:59 PM
Recommendations: 3
It is possible that Bo wouldn't have the peeing issue elsewhere. When my friend had Chia, Chia peed on everything. They had to rip up the carpet on the first floor room by room (brand new house so the carpet had also been brand new). When I took Chia I knew she had this problem but I was willing to give it a try to get her out of that house (friend's husband was abusing her - I know that isn't Bo's issue but he might be feeling stress of some unknown kitty nature). Chia never peed outside the litterbox except for the day she died. Even if I was super busy & the box didn't get cleaned as often as it should. I also had other cats with her (one thing we thought might set her off). So it may be possible for another open hearted person to give Bo a chance & not have any issues. Maybe another person who Bo will be a single cat & thus able to get all the attention? Or someone who doesn't mind putting pee pads on beds to see how he does? So I would start asking around. Its possible Bo is stressed about something unknown to anyone else and a change of venue will be helpful. And since he's so affectionate & friendly, someone may be willing to give him a chance. Fingers crossed for you in this difficult situation.

Michele, Mews & Zuri
if I didn't already have 2 ...

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120025 of 122220
Subject: Re: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 1:43 PM
Recommendations: 2

possible Bo is stressed about something unknown to anyone else and a change of venue will be helpful. And since he's so affectionate & friendly, someone may be willing to give him a chance. Fingers crossed for you in this difficult situation

arent medical issues a possibility?

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120026 of 122220
Subject: Re: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 1:45 PM
Would it be possible for someone to foster Bo for a couple of weeks to see how he is under different circumstances? As Michele said, it's possible that he just doesn't like Sasha.

And for a really off the wall possibility, is it possible that Sasha has something wrong with her, a tumor or something, and that's what is bothering Bo?

Nancy

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120027 of 122220
Subject: Re: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 2:27 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hi, Gail
Why is he on Prozac? Does he have other issues besides the inappropriate urination? Is he anxious or overly territorial? I asking because I have a similar problem with my male peeing on my female's bed. I am taking him in next week to discuss medications as we have ruled out all other medical reasons he would be doing this. He, however, does seem anxious and insecure and territorial. I'm hoping an anti-anxiety drig might calm him down. He never had the urinary problem before we brought the new cat in last year, but did display the other behaviors. Wondering if the others are right and Bo really doesn't like Sasha.
Thanks
JK

Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120028 of 122220
Subject: Re: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 2:31 PM
I've had Bo to the vet -- he's healthy. And Sasha went a couple weeks ago and got a good report. I think that maybe while I was gone one of them caught a mouse and started fighting over it. But, that's wild speculation. I have a friend who likes Bo, and might be willing to take him for a while. I'll have to keep working on this.
Thanks for comments and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Gail

Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120030 of 122220
Subject: Re: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 2:33 PM
The prozac is because of the peeing -- which I think is an emotional / anxiety thing. It's compounded by a pharmacist, and I rub it in his ear each morning. I'm a little concerned he might not have been medicated regularly while I was gone, but I've been home a couple weeks now, and he's been medicated every day and given a good deal of attention.

Gail

Author: karenlj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120033 of 122220
Subject: Re: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 3:02 PM
http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainment/164850126_Cat_...

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2012/06/23/qa-how-to-stop-cats-from...

On one of the My Cat From Hell shows, the cats had previously got along well, but now fought. Jackson Galaxy had the owners separate the cats and reintroduce them to each other. It worked beautifully.

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions...

Karen

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120035 of 122220
Subject: Re: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 5:41 PM
OK, I'm going to interject my thoughts. This problem appears to have started when you got the second cat. And, it appears that Bo is stressed due to the presence of the second cat. I have had this problem. The solution? I found a home for the second cat and never had another problem with the older cat. (He peed anywhere he chose.)

I have also found that if the second cat is a small kitten when adopted with an older cat, the older cat will "parent" the kitten, no stress.

Donna

Author: Hardboiled Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120036 of 122220
Subject: Re: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 8:46 PM
Actually, we had Sasha first. She tolerated Bocephus when we got him two years later, but it's clear that she thought he was a varmint. They're half siblings, both from the same breeder. Bo started peeing on beds when he was five months old, and he got fixed the next day. We've had good spells with no peeing, and more difficult times. He might have been upset I was gone, since he's kind of my cat.

Gail

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 120037 of 122220
Subject: Re: At a loss Date: 11/6/2012 9:03 PM
I have learned through the years that cats express their dismay in a myriad of ways, peeing being the most prevalent in my case. I did assign various areas in the house for the separate cats, i.e., downstairs I have a litter box and food for Princess, and upstairs I have a litter box and food for Jessica.

Now, Jessica has started coming downstairs and will tolerate Princess enough to eat with her, but Princess will try to be the little hog, so I started feeding their wet food in separate rooms downstairs. However, they don't fight any more (Thank God), and Jessica just does her little hissing sound, as she does with the dog.

But, all is well.

Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement