Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
At least in the case of Washington/Oregon, if you shop in Oregon and live in Washington, you are still required to pay sales tax as if you bought the items in Washington. I don't know anyone that does this, but I remember that the state used to run ads in the Vancouver, WA newspaper (right across the border from Oregon) reminding people of this and including a form to fill out and submit with your payment.

This is difficult, if not impossible, to inforce except for business expendatures and things that require licenses. Businesses are audited to see if they bought something, not inventory, in a state without sales tax. They are required to pay sales tax on the item. It's on the "use" tax portion of the B & O tax form.

The auditor collects sales tax on vehicles, etc. when they are licensed, if they are bought in a state without sales tax.

Jean....lives in Washington 14 miles from Oregon
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.