Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 568  
Subject: Re: Decision Making Date: 4/14/2003 1:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
At one point in my life, I came to the conclusion that I was just going along on "autopilot," responding to my environment as I always had and getting pretty much the same unsatisfactory results from my life. That's when Covey's lesson hit home, and I began to decide to be more proactive.

To a certain degree, we should *want* to go along on "autopilot." The important thing is to schedule some time to reflect on where you want your autopilot to take you (so I guess you wouldn't want to put your autopilot on autopilot!).

Don't underestimate the power of conditioned responses and habits to *help* you move in the direction you want to go.

"Habit is either the best of servants or the worst of masters."
- Nathaniel Emmons

"The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken."
- Samuel Johnson

"Ninety-nine hundredths or, possibly, nine hundred and ninety-nine thousandths of our activity is purely automatic and habitual, from our rising in the morning to our lying down each night."
- William James

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Could the young but realize how soon they will become mere walking bundles of habits, they would give more heed to their conduct while in the plastic state."
- William James

"We first make our habits, and then our habits make us."
- John Dryden

"The second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits he has acquired during the first half."
- Feodor Dostoevski

"Habit is the most imperious of all masters."
- Goethe

"As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives."
- Henry David Thoreau

"Sow an act...reap a habit;
Sow a habit...reap a character;
Sow a character...reap a destiny.

- George D. Boardman

"To make our nervous system our ally instead of our enemy... we must make automatic and habitual, as early as possible, as many useful actions as we can, and guard against the growing into ways that are likely to be disadvantageous to us, as we should guard against the plague."
- William James

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
- Jim Ryun

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement