UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (318) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76079  
Subject: Re: Hi gang... wow!!! Date: 9/18/2013 12:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 23
at one point in this thread--I'm not going to take the time to go back and find it--Ray claimed that a modest investment in the S&P500 turned into $6-9 million! When I protested that one didn't need a calculator to know this couldn't possibly be accurate, I was hounded firmly into place by the pro-Index investors in this thread.

Yeah, that post was back in April. What I said was: Start date Jan 1965, initial $10,000, monthly deposit $1000, final S%P500 value on Jan 2013: $12,200,000.

The reason you got "hounded" was two-fold.
* Only you characterised that deposit amount as modest. Everybody else said that $1000/mo was a lot, not modest at all. And you were the one who provided the figures of $10,000 and $1000/mo -- I just ran with what you gave.

* The other reason was the bit about "didn't need a calculator to know this couldn't possibly be accurate".

Did you even bother to put in into a calculator? No need to answer that, it is obvious that you didn't.

Put the numbers into the calculator from your recent link: http://partners.leadfusion.com/tools/motleyfool/savings02/to...

amount: 10,000
rate: 10%
additional: deposits 1000
monthly
Years: 48 (1965 to 2013 = 48 years)
0 on all the others.

Then click Results.

Why do you persist in beclowning yourself? All it would take to check out my absurd claim is spend 5 seconds to plug the inputs into a claculator. They you could say, "Ray you are a fumble-fingered idiot. You claimed $9 million when a simple calculator shows the correct answer is $149.72"

Then I could be all like, "WhatEEEVER, fffzzt, what does a stupid calculator know anyway."

I must be stoopid not to believe that $6-9 million is possible because Ray said so!
Believe nothing. Check every claim that anybody makes.

Other than Dave, there hasn't been a single challenge to any of the figures presented by Ray or others who firmly believe in S&P500 B&H--not even to constructively (and respectfully) establish a protocol for calculating them.
I would welcome such. Y'know, you yourself could propose a protocol -- no need to wait around for somebody else to do so. I had a chuckle at the "and respectfully" bit, seing as your modus operandi is to toss off insults.

I'd guess that your response would be that you can't do that because you don't know enough to make a concrete proposal. Yet you think that you are expert enough to dismiss figures out of hand because they seem ridiculous -- when 5 seconds with a calculator would show that they are right in the ballpark.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (318) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement