UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59162  
Subject: Re: USA's #1 in health care ... Date: 4/20/2014 11:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 41
At some point, you have to look at the entire industry and look at reality. If we can't afford it, what's to be done? In many areas, like my own state, they've already admitted they were wrong about single-payer. It's the salaries, the huge growth of employees and benefits.

Once upon a time there were a thousand different phone companies, often with incompatible standards. Some would interconnect with others, some would not. Sometimes you had to have two phones, one to call the fire house over there, and one to call the department stores over here. Sometimes the department store would give a kickback to the phone company if the operators sent a call to Macy's when the customer asked for Gimbels.

So in their infinite wisdom (and because of the approach of World War I and the military's inability to talk to itself) the government decided to change this dysfunctional system and handed it all to ... the Post Office.

Within a couple years it was clear that this was no better than before, and so the government, unable to unscramble the egg, decided to hand the whole mess back to one of the original companies: AT&T, with the priviso that it be strictly regulated. It was "for profit." People could earn good salaries. But costs were strictly monitored, investor returns were capped, rates were subject to approval, and most importantly, the company was held to a standard of SERVING THE PUBLIC, not "making the most money."

Single payer might be most efficient when run by the government, as we have seen with Medicare and the VA. (Not perfect, mind you, but efficient.) But I would not object if the whole thing was handed to a "for profit" company which has been in the business and knows the ropes, and which would have the ability to scale its service and tailor its products to (wait for it) SERVE THE PUBLIC as AT&T did for so many years.

I'm not sure where you would find that combination of service minded public servants these days, but somewhere one must exist. I wouldn't even mind if he made a pretty big salary. I would mind if the whole thing weren't vastly more efficient than it is today, with the profit-minded insurance sector raking 30% or more off the top of health care costs.

The ACA is a step forward for insuring the "previously uninsured" and in getting other things straightened out, like denying coverage after-the-fact, but we still have a long way to go. (You're still at the mercy of "in network" and "out of network" even when you don't have a choice, or only find out later, and so on.) But the ACA is not the last step, indeed I hope it's just the first in a short journey to "universal" coverage.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement