Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jgc123 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19393  
Subject: Re: Lies, damn lies and CPI Date: 3/25/2013 4:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
At this point I am more inclined to trust the math nerds at MIT versus either the official CPI stats OR Mauldin because to some extent they have no bone in the fight one way or the other. They are not selling financial products nor are they selling favorable stats to satisfy the government entities that may want to undersell the effects of inflation.

kevin: "To expect to print and print and print and take monetary supply to unprecedented levels relative to economic output and not have repercussions seems unlikely to me. When or how those materialize is beyond me,"

That's the thing. People like Hussman who make the scary predictions that "sound right" (to people like me) keep losing money (or failing to make money with their money) and keep making the scary predictions. He may well be proven right some day, but when?

It seems to me that actual math, done by places like MIT, are our best bet even if we have criticisms of a particular data set presented here on a message board.

In the meantime, I fully understand the decision to be skeptical about the official stats (i.e., 2% cpi) but I am even more skeptical abou the stats at the start of this thread (i.e., 5-8%) which appear to me to be even more absurd than the official CPI.

In other words, even if the math nerds are using stats that people here find imperfect, the stats that started this thread appear to me to be completely unfounded, if not fabricated.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement