Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Babble Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30800  
Subject: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/12/2004 5:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 12
Harvard has conjured up its pyramid, but Atkins is not to be outdone:

http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/2/10-121449.html

I like it, it really summarizes this way of eating in a simple picture. What a difference from the USDA's version, though! Turned on its head, more or less.

You can download and print a nice color copy. Pin it up in the coffee room right over the Krispy Kreme donut box.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Sparkle13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15784 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/12/2004 5:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Yes, this is good. There are several good comments at the bottom of the pyramid and in the article below. I would paste them here for anyone trolling, but will not waste my time. (The rest of you have already made the same comments yourself, so I don't have to inform you anyway.) If anyone can take the time to hunt and find incorrect and misleading information to post, they can spend their own time to go to research other points of view and correct information. If they truly want to see all sides of the picture, determine the facts, and see what works for them, they will do this. If they are only trolling, they won't. And for those folks, I will no longer waste my time. Thank you for posting the link. It is very useful and right in line with the way I eat.

Stacie

Author: cabinmama Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15786 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/12/2004 5:54 PM
Recommendations: 5
I like it, but that is one scary-looking guy in the sidebar!

cm

Author: Babble Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15801 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/13/2004 2:54 AM
Recommendations: 0
My only surprise about the Atkins Pyramid is that cheese is so high up, meaning less should be consumed even than the berry fruits. Cheese is much lower carb than berries, and higher fat, so I wonder why? Cheese is allowed during the most restrictive phase of Atkins, while berries are not. And cheese is relegated to the same high pyramid level as nuts and legumes, even though the latter two are forbidden on induction.

Atkins cautions that cheese can aggravate yeast problems in some people (Candida overgrowth), but that would seem to earn it an asterisk, not banishment to the upper levels.

I have been eating cheese in quantities befitting the lowest or second level of the pyramid for a year, and have not had problems.

Author: drome Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15802 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/13/2004 3:09 AM
Recommendations: 4
Just a thought: Blueberries, Raspberries, blackberries and strawberries are very high in anti-oxidents and fiber relateive to their weight and calorie count. That certainly is not the case with cheese.

Author: Chaconne Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15810 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/13/2004 8:56 AM
I LOVE this pyramid! I guess I AM an Atkins person (except for dairy which I hardly ever eat). OMG!!! ;-)

My only surprise about the Atkins Pyramid is that cheese is so high up, meaning less should be consumed even than the berry fruits. Cheese is much lower carb than berries, and higher fat, so I wonder why?

I heard an Atkins spokesperson the other evening (debating with some dude from PCRM) and he said that when Atkins first began how many years ago that they allowed more saturated fats but since that time after further study that they have reduced their recommendation for them. This may be part of the reason.

Andrea

Author: Sparkle13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15825 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/13/2004 10:29 AM
Recommendations: 1
I heard an Atkins spokesperson the other evening (debating with some dude from PCRM) and he said that when Atkins first began how many years ago that they allowed more saturated fats but since that time after further study that they have reduced their recommendation for them

Hmmmm, so did more studies, analyzed the information and tweaked their program in order to improve it further. Yeah, there's obviously something wrong with LC'ing (major sarcasm here). It's too bad naysayers can't look at all the information, and do that instead of just looking at a small bit, exaggerating it and insisting everything else is wrong based on information from decades ago (and on incorrect information too).
Stacie

Author: Chaconne Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15828 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/13/2004 10:36 AM
I heard an Atkins spokesperson the other evening (debating with some dude from PCRM) and he said that when Atkins first began how many years ago that they allowed more saturated fats but since that time after further study that they have reduced their recommendation for them

Hmmmm, so did more studies, analyzed the information and tweaked their program in order to improve it further. Yeah, there's obviously something wrong with LC'ing (major sarcasm here). It's too bad naysayers can't look at all the information, and do that instead of just looking at a small bit, exaggerating it and insisting everything else is wrong based on information from decades ago (and on incorrect information too).
Stacie

I'm not sure who you are having a problem with here. The Atkins spokesperson? Do you just want the Atkins program to remain exactly the same as it was 50 years ago even if they themselves have determined that it needed a bit of revision?

Andrea

Author: Sparkle13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15830 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/13/2004 10:39 AM
Recommendations: 2
Stacie

I'm not sure who you are having a problem with here. The Atkins spokesperson? Do you just want the Atkins program to remain exactly the same as it was 50 years ago even if they themselves have determined that it needed a bit of revision?
Andrea

No, as said in my post, that was major sarcasm and that the post was for naysayers. It wasn't aimed at anyone from Atkins. It was for the recent trolls. I was pointing out how if you keep studying something, learn more, and make improvements, you only better a program and your overall knowledge and health. Sorry that wasn't clear.
Stacie

Author: Babble Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15848 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/13/2004 1:38 PM

We seem to be slip-slidin' into the misinformation twilight zone here - Atkins Nutritionals held forth on this just a week or two ago:

Recent media reports have suggested that we at Atkins have suddenly changed course and now recommend that people limit their consumption of saturated fat. These reports are totally inaccurate. There is no scientific research showing that consuming fat, saturated or otherwise, is bad for you in the context of a controlled-carbohydrate lifestyle.

Read the rest at

http://atkins.com/Archive/2004/2/3-915798.html

Author: Chaconne Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15849 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 2/13/2004 1:43 PM
We seem to be slip-slidin' into the misinformation twilight zone here - Atkins Nutritionals held forth on this just a week or two ago:

Recent media reports have suggested that we at Atkins have suddenly changed course and now recommend that people limit their consumption of saturated fat. These reports are totally inaccurate. There is no scientific research showing that consuming fat, saturated or otherwise, is bad for you in the context of a controlled-carbohydrate lifestyle.

I read this during the last brouhaha. I'm just telling you what the Atkins guy said in the interview I saw yesterday on MSNBC. I don't have a link, but I know what I heard. Maybe not everyone at Atkins are on the same page.

Seems possible to me.

Andrea

Author: Babble Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25628 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 12/23/2005 3:38 PM
Thanks for noticing that change.

When I clicked the link you gave, it still gave me an error page but here's the one that does the trick:

http://www.atkins.com/articles/atkins-phases/phase-four/food-pyramid

Author: Babble Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25629 of 30800
Subject: Re: Atkins Food Pyramid Date: 12/23/2005 3:40 PM
Sorry its the same link, I got mixed up!!! <: )

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement