Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Chainsaw Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121443  
Subject: AT&T Divestiture Cost Basis Date: 6/27/1997 10:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there one document or file available
that documents the AT&T breakup from
1983 to the current time for ALL the
companies ?

Have shares and DRIP's from 1968 onward.

Am I a fool!

__
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59 of 121443
Subject: Re: AT&T Divestiture Cost Basis Date: 6/28/1997 8:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<Is there one document or file available
companies ?

Have shares and DRIP's from 1968 onward.>

Did your parents not buy you a filing cabinet on the day you were born? This is required by the IRS and other government agencies. You will need it frequently. In it you place every official document you ever receive, and then some. All you need do is look in there and enter every @#$% confirmation slip into Quicken, or whatever accounting package you use. When the 1983 split-up occurred, they sent a slip out with the cost-basis on it, I believe. My parents had not bought me my filing cabinet yet, and I did not realize the need for it, so I lost mine. I looked up the prices for that day in the WSJ at my local library and hoped for the best. Forseeing the same problem coming up again, I sold all my AT&T that was not in my IRA before the Lucent spin-off. For the 1983 spin-offs, I figured out what the cost basis had to be the best I could. Since I had only 19 shares at the time, I imagine the IRS does not care about any slight error this might cause, at least not enough to audit me. If they choose to do that, their figures might be correct, but the amount they could recover would never cover the cost of the audit.
(I now have a big filing cabinet that I feel should be tax deductable, but do not choose to press the point with the IRS.)

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60 of 121443
Subject: Re: AT&T Divestiture Cost Basis Date: 6/30/1997 10:21 AM
<<Is there one document or file available
companies ?>>

Not that I know of. I'm afraid that you'll have to deal directly with ATT in order to get that information. The DRIP people at ATT may be able to help you out. If not, you'll probably need to contact investor relations.

This is one of the problems with DRIP plans and Uncle Sam: that of split ups and spin offs. It can get very, very complicated. Certainly doesn't mean its a "bad" thing, just something that you must keep on top of year to year.

TMF Taxes
Roy Lewis

Author: Chainsaw Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72 of 121443
Subject: Re: AT&T Divestiture Cost Basis Date: 7/5/1997 1:27 PM
<<Is there one document or file available
companies ?>>

<<<< Not that I know of. I'm afraid that you'll have to deal directly with ATT in order to get that information. The DRIP people at ATT may be able to help you out. If not, you'll probably need to contact investor relations.>>>>

Thanks ......

Looks like there are five events since the 1983-84 AT& T divestiture that result in the current eleven companies At this point in time it appears there is no one source or document for all the information. I generated my own document (about 4 pages) which starts in 1983-84 and carries the allocation ratios to the present.

It is in Word 6.0c format. If anyone else might be interested in it I will be glad to upload it or whatever.

Keep DRIPing ! I had to take early retirement in order to have time for the record keeping. <<<<grin>>>>

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73 of 121443
Subject: Re: AT&T Divestiture Cost Basis Date: 7/5/1997 1:39 PM
<<Keep DRIPing ! I had to take early retirement in order to have time for the record keeping. <<<<grin>>>>>>

LOL, Chainsaw.

Thanks for the offer of assistance. Once of the things that makes this a wonderful forum: People helping people.

Now...lets all sing "We Are the World"..

TMF Taxes
Roy Lewis

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement