UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 56896  
Subject: Attention air travelers Date: 12/23/2012 3:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm packing for an extended overseas trip which I have never done. AND I have traveled so little since 9/11/01 that I'm still fuzzy on all the restrictions. I've been to the TSA website and seem to have liquids under control.

But what about metal? I have these little pockets down the pants I'm wearing that I want to put some stuff in to make my bags lighter since I have shoulder/arm problems. In particular I have rose salve in a metal container I want to take because you can use it on lips, hands, face, etc. And will light-weight metal like the type wrapped on gum or granola bar be a problem? What about a zipper on a little pouch? And I have a stylus for an iPad that has metal--will that be a problem? I don't want to put these little things in a big checked bag because they could fall out if the bag is ripped and especially I don't want to lose some things like the stylus as it belongs to my daughter whom I am visiting.

My sister had a huge rip in her bag when she went to Sweden and she lost all her over the counter medicine. I think the baggage handlers ripped it on purpose and took the stuff.

Oh, and what about screening electronics? Shouldn't I ask them to not x-ray those things? I have a laptop, camera, iPod, some SD cards, USB drives, chargers, etc. that have little bits of metal. What about those? I have a back pack with my medicine and laptop, etc., but it is getting very full. And I got a money belt--thanks salaryguru.

Can you think of anything else I should know to get through security?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47036 of 56896
Subject: Re: Attention air travelers Date: 12/23/2012 4:30 PM
Recommendations: 1
But what about metal? I have these little pockets down the pants I'm wearing that I want to put some stuff in to make my bags lighter since I have shoulder/arm problems. In particular I have rose salve in a metal container I want to take because you can use it on lips, hands, face, etc. And will light-weight metal like the type wrapped on gum or granola bar be a problem? What about a zipper on a little pouch? And I have a stylus for an iPad that has metal--will that be a problem? I don't want to put these little things in a big checked bag because they could fall out if the bag is ripped and especially I don't want to lose some things like the stylus as it belongs to my daughter whom I am visiting.

My sister had a huge rip in her bag when she went to Sweden and she lost all her over the counter medicine. I think the baggage handlers ripped it on purpose and took the stuff.

Medicine and personal items like the rose salve should go in your carry-on bag, especially internationally. You are supposed to go through the screening with your pockets completely empty. You can put those small items in a jacket pocket and send the jacket through the x-ray with your carry on and shoes. And shoes that slip on and off easily are a good idea. I wear pants with an elastic waistband so I don't have to mess with a belt.

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47038 of 56896
Subject: Re: Attention air travelers Date: 12/23/2012 5:29 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks sykesix. I guess that means all those little things will go in my backpack before security and then after I can put them back in my pants pockets. I will have a jacket, too, because I am going to the mountains in Panama and Heather said it might be chilly there.

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47065 of 56896
Subject: Re: Attention air travelers Date: 12/26/2012 7:08 PM
Recommendations: 1
That salve might have to go in your baggie with liquids -- Yes, I know it's not a liquid but the TSA might confiscate it otherwise. I heard of a banana being confiscated and also lipstick.

OTC medications: When your bag is x-rayed it looks like prescription drugs which are very stealable. I'd guess that's why your sister's bag was cut.

Don't make yourself too crazy. Just be nice (i.e. not impatient) and odds are the TSA folks will be helpful.

One little hint: Put everything (clothes, shoes, etc.) you think you need on the bed. Then take half away. Add a light sweater. That's all you need. You're probably going to a civilized country, even if it's more primitive than home. If you're desperate for another pair of socks you can buy them.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement