Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mycat Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Attn: Federal Retirees Date: 6/11/1999 8:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello Youall: Did you retire and was also eligible for Social Security? How badly did you get the shaft by Congress? Double dipping? Sure! But why did Congress exclude itself from the provision of the law that took a good portion of your Social Security benefits away? Will you sign a petition? Like to know more? Contact Jim Hasdorff at hasdorff@tsum.edu. Remember, election time is not far off!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: meg1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 596 of 19257
Subject: Re: Attn: Federal Retirees Date: 6/15/1999 5:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hi - I'm not sure I know what double dipping is. But re investing, etc., a thing I'd like to see changed is the IRS (or Congress's) definition of "earned" income. You didn't work all those years to "earn" your disabiity insurance? You didn't work all those years to "earn" your social security? Get real!
Not allowing the disabled and/or retired to invest in tax-deferred IRA's etc., is seriously limiting, and it seeems to me it is grossly unfair.
Anybody else grind a few teeth over this during years of life as a crip? Seems like Living Below Your Means becomes rewarding only for the able-bodied.
meg1

Author: mycat Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 602 of 19257
Subject: Re: Attn: Federal Retirees Date: 6/17/1999 9:35 PM
Hi meg1: "Double dipping" is bascially defined as drawing two "pensions" from the government, i.e. if a federal employee retires and draws a federal pension, and, although at a different time worked outside government and paid "dues" into social security, this person is considered to be "double dipping" if this person receives retirement benefits from both the feds ( retirement pay) and from social security. In '85 Congress stated it was ok for members of Congress to "double dip" but no one else. Thus, in my case, my social security income was reduced from somewhat in excess of $600 a month to somewhat over $200 a month. I am also a taxpayer and I did not even whimper when I discovered my social security was reduced--NOT UNTIL I DISCOVERED THAT CONGRESS EXCLUDED ITSELF FROM THE PROVISSIONS OF THE LAW!!!!! That really yanked by chain!!! That is the day I registered as an Independent voter! That is also why I never fail to use email to prod a politician or two. Incidentally, meg1, get up a petition--there are alot of retirees out here.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 603 of 19257
Subject: Re: Attn: Federal Retirees Date: 6/17/1999 10:43 PM
mycat wrote,

I am also a taxpayer and I did not even whimper when I discovered my social security was reduced--NOT UNTIL I DISCOVERED THAT CONGRESS EXCLUDED ITSELF FROM THE PROVISSIONS OF THE LAW!!!!! That really yanked by chain!!! That is the day I registered as an Independent voter! That is also why I never fail to use email to prod a politician or two. Incidentally, meg1, get up a petition--there are alot of retirees out here.

I'm not a Federal retiree, but I always willing to help somebody pulling a politician's chain. I'll sign your petition.

If more people knew about this it would probably rival the "House Banking Scandal" of a few years ago where over a 100 Congressmen were caught passing "hot" checks.

intercst

Author: jojo38 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1941 of 19257
Subject: Re: Attn: Federal Retirees Date: 2/2/2000 8:50 PM
Jim: I think we should embarrass them (Congress) by raising the issue. I retired from Federal service after 42 years. All that time I also worked parttime and contributed to SS. Served on active duty 11 years and paid SS; paid it as a member of the reserves for another 30 some years. Also worked five years outside government and paid S.S. Don't laugh. Despite all this my years of "significant earning"are defined as less than 20. Consequence is SS is reduced to 40 percent of full SS. The harder you work the more you get screwed, unless of course you are a politician, born wealthy, or just unfortunate enough to have never educated yourself and were stuck in a lower paying job. Guess you figured that after retirement age I'm again working full time to increase my nest egg and leave something for my family. By the way, any advice on investing the money I've left in the Thrift Account (401K)? It's in the C fund, S&P 500.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement