UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308557  
Subject: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can help Date: 3/13/2008 4:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
R.S.,

Going to post my feedback to both your questions here. First of all, let's consider where you are each month:

Net Pay: 1600.00
Mortgage: 1343.65
Furniture: 15.00 (from your previous post)
Credit Card: 15.00 (I am assuming your min payment here)
"Other": 600.00
Balance: -373.65

So you are living in the NEGATIVE to the tune of $4483.80 cents PER YEAR. It seems to me that rather than being concerned about getting your credit score up to the 700s by the end of this year (WHY do you want to do this exactly? Not that it's a bad thing, but what's your reason for it right now), you should be trying to get out of the hole that you are digging yourself further into. Please don't take offense to anything I am saying. I am not trying to make you feel bad or look down on you. I am just concerned that you still don't seem to realise exactly what situation you are in......

You asked for my budget so here it is:
March 2008

Mortgage 7th $1,343.65
Car 3rd $190.00
My Savings 5th $-
United Con Fin 3rd $82.33
Water 10th $26.83
Tmobile 2th $402.08 (Usally $81)
NES (lights) 15th $241.56 (Usally $134)
Nationwide (car)11th $65.55
ADS 15th $24.95
Trash 7th $17.00
TDS(phone,cable)7th $156.12
Gas for Car 30th $100.00
Citifinancial 30th $15.00
Marc (Med Bill) 28th $25.00
Tithes 30th $-
Capital One 20th $150.00 (CC usally $50)
Suntrust 30th $50.00 (was scamed off of $2000)
Hair $-
Medical Bills 30th $50.00
Total $2,940

I am currently working on getting one good paying job ($35K+) or two okay paying jobs($8-$15hr).

I want to include my credit score(509-598) by 200 points because if I have a "Big Goal" I will have to set little goals like fixing my income level or decresing expenses. A larger goal helps me create the steps to do solve the underline problems. It's a mental thing. I always achieve my goals but somethings I don't know where to start.

I thought about selling my house, but I live in one of those neighborhood with over 100 foreclosures plus another 60 or 80 homes for sale. Two of my next door neighbors are saling and two of the three homes behind me are for sale too.

I know with all the resumes and applications I have out I will be getting a job soon. I just don't want to make the same mistakes that I did in the past. What I start today will be the begin of my forever. I want to retirement with money in the bank not debt on my plate.

I am only 27. Can you help me? Don't worry about my feeling just be honous.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269474 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/13/2008 7:20 PM
raetsu,

I'm sorry, but it's been a long day, and my brain wants to lock down.

Who are you responding to? Could you find the post?

Thanks,

Nancy

Author: yaszmin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269477 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/13/2008 7:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
I can shed some light here, since I visit the board that raetsu came from. In these here parts, the post would read like this:

R.S.,

Going to post my feedback to both your questions here. First of all, let's consider where you are each month:

Net Pay: 1600.00
Mortgage: 1343.65
Furniture: 15.00 (from your previous post)
Credit Card: 15.00 (I am assuming your min payment here)
"Other": 600.00
Balance: -373.65

So you are living in the NEGATIVE to the tune of $4483.80 cents PER YEAR. It seems to me that rather than being concerned about getting your credit score up to the 700s by the end of this year (WHY do you want to do this exactly? Not that it's a bad thing, but what's your reason for it right now), you should be trying to get out of the hole that you are digging yourself further into. Please don't take offense to anything I am saying. I am not trying to make you feel bad or look down on you. I am just concerned that you still don't seem to realise exactly what situation you are in......

You asked for my budget so here it is:
March 2008

Mortgage 7th $1,343.65
Car 3rd $190.00
My Savings 5th $-
United Con Fin 3rd $82.33
Water 10th $26.83
Tmobile 2th $402.08 (Usally $81)
NES (lights) 15th $241.56 (Usally $134)
Nationwide (car)11th $65.55
ADS 15th $24.95
Trash 7th $17.00
TDS(phone,cable)7th $156.12
Gas for Car 30th $100.00
Citifinancial 30th $15.00
Marc (Med Bill) 28th $25.00
Tithes 30th $-
Capital One 20th $150.00 (CC usally $50)
Suntrust 30th $50.00 (was scamed off of $2000)
Hair $-
Medical Bills 30th $50.00
Total $2,940

I am currently working on getting one good paying job ($35K+) or two okay paying jobs($8-$15hr).

I want to include my credit score(509-598) by 200 points because if I have a "Big Goal" I will have to set little goals like fixing my income level or decresing expenses. A larger goal helps me create the steps to do solve the underline problems. It's a mental thing. I always achieve my goals but somethings I don't know where to start.

I thought about selling my house, but I live in one of those neighborhood with over 100 foreclosures plus another 60 or 80 homes for sale. Two of my next door neighbors are saling and two of the three homes behind me are for sale too.

I know with all the resumes and applications I have out I will be getting a job soon. I just don't want to make the same mistakes that I did in the past. What I start today will be the begin of my forever. I want to retirement with money in the bank not debt on my plate.

I am only 27. Can you help me? Don't worry about my feeling just be honous.

==>End

From the YF&B board:

http://www.suzeorman.com/igsbase/igstemplate.cfm?SRC=MD003&GNavID=21&SnavID=61&TnavID=&SRCN=responses&MBresponseID=40070&MBTopicID=8

http://www.suzeorman.com/igsbase/igstemplate.cfm?SRC=MD003&SRCN=responses&GnavID=21&SnavID=61&TnavID=&MBresponseID=40519&MBTopicID=8

http://www.suzeorman.com/igsbase/igstemplate.cfm?SRC=MD003&GNavID=21&SnavID=61&TnavID=&SRCN=responses&MBresponseID=40521&MBTopicID=8

There might be more, but the search feature on that board sucks hard core and I think you get the general idea....

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269478 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/13/2008 8:05 PM
There might be more, but the search feature on that board sucks hard core and I think you get the general idea....

Actually, no, because I don't know the secret password, but I'll guess it's a set of message boards, and someone suggested the Fool.

Thanks for clarifying.

Nancy

Author: yaszmin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269479 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/13/2008 8:06 PM
Oops! Sorry, I forgot ALL about that. Yes, someone rec'd the fool. Is it "legal" for me to copy/paste snippets here? Or should I just leave that to the OP?

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269480 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/13/2008 8:07 PM
Is it "legal" for me to copy/paste snippets here? Or should I just leave that to the OP?

Leave it to the OP. At least I don't have to go back, trying to figure out what happened.

Nancy

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269483 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/13/2008 9:19 PM

Mortgage $1,343.65
Car $ 190.00
My Savings $ 0.00
United Con Fin $ 82.33
Water $ 26.83
Tmobile $ 402.08 (Usally $81)
NES (lights) $ 241.56 (Usally $134)
Nationwide (car) $ 65.55
ADS $ 24.95
Trash $ 17.00
TDS(phone,cable) $ 156.12
Gas for Car $ 100.00
Citifinancial $ 15.00
Marc (Med Bill) $ 25.00
Tithes $ 0.00
Capital One $ 150.00 (CC usally $50)
Suntrust $ 50.00 (was scamed off of $2000)
Hair $ 0.00
Medical Bills $ 50.00
Total $2,940.07

Okay, that's easier for me to read.

Questions. What is ADS? And your cable bill. Why is that so high? Can you cut back on cable? Do you need it when you're bleeding? Do you have heat? What kind? Could you take in a roommate to help with some of the bills?

I gather you live by yourself? No pets? Do you buy gifts for people? Are property taxes bundled in with your mortgage? Is that what you had been spending on gas, or is that what you're currently spending? What do you do for food? Household items like toothpaste or paper towels?

Could you list your credit cards separately, with the rates and the amount owed? That will help.

Are you currently working, or do you have extra income? (You indicated that you were hoping to get a job, so I wondered where the income stream came from).

You need more money from somewhere. Could you be clearer on the job situation?

Just a start,

Nancy

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269488 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/13/2008 9:45 PM
Ok sorry about the mix up on the first post but here is a quick over view. I am making $20K-25K a year right now. I had a job making $56K but I was fired because the company downsized. I was fired in July. Sense July I have been trying to find a job making close to what I was making. As a quick fix I got a seasonal job as a tax preparer. I have a house mortgage and all my other bills as you can see in the first post.

I had said on another site that I wanted to increase my credit score(509-590) by 200 points. So KK from the other site told me to come here. KK also asked me a lot of questions the main one being "Why I want to increase my score when I need to be worried about my income". If you are not KK my reply(first posting to this site) don't make a lot of sense(sorry about that).

KK said to sell my house but I can't because of my neigborhood.

I think if you read the end of my first post starting with my monthly budget it will make more sense now.

Author: yaszmin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269490 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/13/2008 9:58 PM
Recommendations: 2
Selling your house may be something to think about, but let's figure out what's actually happening with your money first.

I'm a bit confused - why is your cell phone bill so high this time (T-Mobile)? Also, why do you need a cell phone and a land line? And what happened to make your light bill higher?

Also, as Nancy said, what are you spending on food, entertainment, clothes?

One thing that is highly recommended when trying to get a hold of your finances is to record everything that you spend for 30 days (if you buy a stick of gum, you write it down). I think that might be a good exercise for you to begin right away, since there seem to be a lot of gaps in your budget where every day expenses should be.....

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269496 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/13/2008 10:46 PM
I'm a bit confused - why is your cell phone bill so high this time (T-Mobile)? Also, why do you need a cell phone and a land line?

-I have a family plan with my partner and my step father. We went over our mins last month. My partner has no job (but is looking) and likes to watch tv. The cable is in with the land line. I also need it for the security system. I live in great neighborhood but things have been happening lately.

And what happened to make your light bill higher?

-Its 3 of us living in my 4 bedroom house. ( I am the only one working. I know everyone not having a job is a problem; trying to fix it. May kick everyone else out:)

Also, as Nancy said, what are you spending on food, entertainment, clothes?
-Clothes $0 I have a lot from my $56K a yr days...
-Food $50 plus $173 food stamps I started getting two weeks ago
-Entertainment $20 plus the cable bill (No partying for me)

One thing that is highly recommended when trying to get a hold of your finances is to record everything that you spend for 30 days (if you buy a stick of gum, you write it down).

I am a great budgeter. I did this financal record thing about two years ago I will try it again.

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269497 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/13/2008 11:02 PM
Recommendations: 4
What is ADS?
-Home Security

And your cable bill. Why is that so high? Can you cut back on cable? Do you need it when you're bleeding?
-It is a bundle plan with the phone
-I dont my partner do I have when without it before
PS partner not working...but is looking

Do you have heat? What kind?
-My heat is in my electric that is NES

Could you take in a roommate to help with some of the bills?
-I have try having roommates and or getting roommate its always ended BAD

I gather you live by yourself?
-Its 3 of us I am the only one working...I know I know I am stupid. I ask I nag what is a girl to do. I told them I am going to kick people out

No pets?
-No pets

Do you buy gifts for people?
- No gifts jsut my time

Are property taxes bundled in with your mortgage?
-Taxes and insurance is bundles to my mortgage

Is that what you had been spending on gas, or is that what you're currently spending?
-Gas is about $100 a month sometimes less if I don't to Nashville but one or twice

What do you do for food? Household items like toothpaste or paper towels?
-Food is $20 plus $173 in food stamps I started getting two weeks ago
-Household things ?? I think around $15 to $25 a month

Could you list your credit cards separately, with the rates and the amount owed? That will help.

-Bill Interest Rate Total Balance Due
CaptialOne 21% $91.68
United Fin Con 0% $736.34
CitiFin 22% $8,524.33
Student Loan 6% $43,266.00

Are you currently working, or do you have extra income? (You indicated that you were hoping to get a job, so I wondered where the income stream came from).

-I am a tax preparer I make about $20K-$25K

Thanks

Rae

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269499 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 12:13 AM
Recommendations: 3
Thanks for posting the details.

Here are a couple of concrete suggestions:

Spend less money -- no trips to Nashville until after April 20/ eat mac and cheese/

Yes, ask your fellow housemates to bring in some money - and use it for the mortgage and the cable.

Author: BklynBorn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269504 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 1:40 AM
welcome, rae...hang in there!

just keep coming back and telling us what's going on. try the suggestions that look good.

maybe, instead of kicking out your "housemates", give them each a certain amount that they must contribute each week - like $100 each.

try it! what have you got to lose?

good luck!

BklynBorn

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269505 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 6:04 AM
Recommendations: 18
My partner has no job (but is looking) and likes to watch tv.

Tough.

When my job disappeared in a departmental shut-down I came home at the end of the day and had the cable tv removed. If your partner's not working they can watch dvds, and they can pay for them. Can he or she find something/anything to do? I'm not talking about a top-of-the-line job, I'm talking about "You want fries with that?" There's no reason why you should carry the load for two other people. I know jobs are getting hard to find, but this is critical.

I know you're worried about your credit score, but as long as you're spending more money than you have coming in, something is clearly being added to the debt, and that's going to keep your score down.

Nancy

Author: electrasmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269511 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 9:10 AM
If your partner's not working they can watch dvds, and they can pay for them. Can he or she find something/anything to do? I'm not talking about a top-of-the-line job, I'm talking about "You want fries with that?"

I'm with Nancy on this. Your partner can go to the library and borrow DVDs for free. He/She can also take any job to bring in income. You can't watch cable if you are busy working anyway. If you don't have cable, you also won't need the landline.

electrasmom

Author: Minxie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269518 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 10:16 AM
If your partner's not working they can watch dvds, and they can pay for them. Can he or she find something/anything to do? I'm not talking about a top-of-the-line job, I'm talking about "You want fries with that?"

I'm with Nancy on this. Your partner can go to the library and borrow DVDs for free. He/She can also take any job to bring in income. You can't watch cable if you are busy working anyway. If you don't have cable, you also won't need the landline.

electrasmom

I also agree with Nancy and electrasmom. If you can take a tax preparer job to get by (kudos to you for doing so, BTW), so can they. Healthy, stable adults can find jobs; it may not be the job they want but it will pay money.

If they don't contribute to the bills, they don't have the right to say whether the cable, or the phone, is cut or not. That money is coming from somewhere and it's not their pocket. Like I tell my DS, "People who don't have jobs don't get to touch." (He's 2 so it works in the store, you know.) (Kind of bit me this week, though, since I was recently laid off from my job. :-)

Minxie
P.S. Really, KUDOS to you for taking ANY job to get by; a lot of people would not think of or be willing to do that. My only concern is that the other adults in your household are taking advantage of your willingness to do so.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269520 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 11:29 AM
I agree with others. Housemates need to contribute something, anything to household budget. After all, if you lost your job, your Landlord (or the bank) wouldn't just let you live there for free...why should they? Assuming they are adults with no major disabilities, they should help pay the way. Have you asked them to contribute $X/week for household budget, or are you just assuming they don't have to help out?

And you should consider cutting cable way back until you get yourself dug out. It's a nice to have, not a must have.

Author: yaszmin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269521 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 11:44 AM
I have a family plan with my partner and my step father. We went over our mins last month.

Along the same lines as people have suggested with the mortgage and other bills, if you are the only one working, you are the only one who needs a cell phone plan. Your partner and your dad can get pre-paid cell phones (that THEY pay for). When their credit runs out, their phones are shut off until they get some money to purchase new minutes.

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269523 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 12:52 PM
Assuming they are adults with no major disabilities, they should help pay the way.
- No one is sick or anything like that
One is 28 and one is 19 years old

Have you asked them to contribute $X/week for household budget, or are you just assuming they don't have to help out?
-I have asked until I turn blue in the face but they don't have jobs
-Sometimes if it gets bad my partner ask for cash from her dad

Author: ncharge Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269524 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 1:12 PM
Recommendations: 15
So, they are skating by while you work to support everybody. If you don't change the rules, you are condoning their disrespect to you - and it is disrespect. Forgive me if I am jumping to conclusions here, but to me it sounds like you are being used. Been there, done that. My solution was to set a deadline for them to have paying jobs and contribute to the finances or they were OUT and I would get in paying renters. You will have to decide what is right for you. Do you want to continue supporting them (allow them to live off you) or do you want them to help support themselves. Because as long as you financially support them, they won't have to support themselves. You "ask until you are blue in the face", but they have no reason to help because there are no real consquences.

Author: Minxie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269525 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 1:16 PM
Recommendations: 6
Assuming they are adults with no major disabilities, they should help pay the way.
- No one is sick or anything like that
One is 28 and one is 19 years old

Have you asked them to contribute $X/week for household budget, or are you just assuming they don't have to help out?

Okay, this is going to sound harsh but...kick them out!!!!!! They are taking advantage of you.

At the very least, sit down with them and explain that they must contribute an equal amount to the household. Define a time limit of 1 month and tell them they must contribute X dollars within that time frame or they will have to move to make room for people who will. Then STICK WITH IT!!!!

Ask yourself why you can find a job but they can't? Don't make excuses for them, don't let them give you excuses and don't let them trade on a loving relationship so that you don't kick them out of your house. If you can take a job temporarily that you might not want, so can they.

Minxie

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269529 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 2:09 PM
Recommendations: 3

I suggest you set a date. If, by the beginning of April, you aren't getting regular help with the expenses, you'll have to move out and rent the house to someone.

I know job-hunting is hard and miserable, but they need temp jobs or McJobs just to keep money flowing.

Nancy

Author: BklynBorn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269531 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 2:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
you're not helping them by letting them live there. you're *hurting* them. you are teaching them that it's possible to survive - and have fun! - in this world without working. that is not a healthy lesson to learn.

even if they say otherwise, inside that is the lesson they are learning. the longer you teach them that lesson, the harder it will be for them to un-learn it.

you are letting them live there because you can't stand to feel uncomfortable - which you would feel if you kick them out.

it may feel hard because these people who are so important to you will be upset with you. but:

1) they'll get over it. hard to believe sometimes, but they will.

2) you have plenty of support and cheerleaders here.

BklynBorn

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269539 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 3:01 PM
Recommendations: 7
I can see a 19 year old living there free if they are in school full-time or something where they couldn't work a lot, but even then I would hope they would help out a bit with groceries, etc. But an adult? A 28 year old? They need to either pay rent to the household or move out.

The core of your problem is that you are supporting three people on one person's salary and it can't feasibly be done. You will not be able to save for retirement, get ahead or anything until you bring your expenses in line with income. And that either means adding more income or reducing expenses. Since expenses are already very tight, your options for adding income are: get a second job, get your housemates to contribute, or kick the housemates out and get paying renters.

The fact that you are supporting - even with the best of intentions - people who can't be bothered to help support you is dangerous for your future. I urge you to reconsider the basic arrangement here for your own financial future and current peace of mind.

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269557 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/14/2008 4:30 PM
Recommendations: 9
I'm a bit confused - why is your cell phone bill so high this time (T-Mobile)? Also, why do you need a cell phone and a land line?

----------------------------------------------------------

-I have a family plan with my partner and my step father. We went over our mins last month. My partner has no job (but is looking) and likes to watch tv. The cable is in with the land line. I also need it for the security system. I live in great neighborhood but things have been happening lately.

Um--you are paying for your step-father and partner's cell phones? Um, no. This sort of thing has to stop if they're not giving you money and if they're looking for jobs but you can't turn off the cable because your partner likes to watch TV. They are abusing your kindness and generosity. Turn off the cable, and if there's complaining, explain nicely that they are welcome to get a job and get cable turned on themselves, in their own name, so you're not in trouble if a bill goes unpaid.

The landline, if you need to keep it for security, make sure you drop it to the bare minimum--no caller ID, no mailboxes, none of that stuff. See if you can get long distance taken off it completely, and use something like www.onesuite.com for long distance. You ought to be able to get it down to 20-30 dollars a month.

But it's time to stop the free ride. Period. They're draining you dry--you have a responsibility to yourself to not allow such a thing. You are just as important as they are, and you are the only one making money--thus, you are the only one who gets a vote in how the money gets spent. If they don't like it, well, they can go out and get employment. They should be paying you at least some nominal rent for living there--what would rent cost them if they were renting a room in an apartment? You can give them a "family discount," but not all the way down to zero.

I am a great budgeter. I did this financal record thing about two years ago I will try it again.

If you're supporting three people on $26,000/year while paying a $1300 mortgage and only going negative $400/month, then you're a fantastic budgeter. You're just too nice a person. Track your spending, but it sounds to me like there are two big fat expenses just dangling low, waiting to be cut from the branch--anything associated with your partner and your step father that they're not reimbursing you for.

Put your foot down. If they're not bringing in the money to pay for their own cell phones, then they don't get to have cell phones. If they're not bringing in the money to pay for cable, then they don't get cable. If they're not bringing in money to help with food and the mortgage, well...give 'em thirty days and then boot 'em out. Unless the competition for a job at McDonald's is very stiff in your area, they can at least cover the cable, cell phone, and a little rent. You're going deeper into debt every minute, so don't rearrange deck chairs on the Titanic--head for a lifeboat. Please. :-)

--Booa

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269580 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/15/2008 1:53 AM
Thank you everyone,

Your advice has not fallen on draft ears I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Rae

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269590 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/15/2008 4:19 PM
Recommendations: 4
Not so much worried about the draft, but as long as you are listening to the advice, that's great.

I was a little confused how a step dad could be the same age as you (27/28). And your partner is only 19? No moral judgments here but the 28yr old at the very least is milking you and the 19yr old, if not in school, is avoiding the responsibilities of being an adult. I appreciate the difficulties of the situation if you consider them all to be family, but you need to take a firm stand. McDonalds is always hiring.

My guess is that your cable service has premium channels, digital, etc. Nix them. If they want to watch Oprah, they can do it on basic cable. If they want more, there's only netflix and its not on your dime. When you call the cable company to drop service, they may tease you with a six month promotional offer. Take it if you want, and then drop it after the six months.

Check and see if ADS will work with Vonage VoIP. My alarm company wouldn't guarantee it but it works fine and its a heck of a lot cheaper than wired service. I pay less than $22/mo for home phone service. As for the cell bill, drop any of the extras such as text messaging and internet browsing. If they want them, they can get their own service.

As for your income, I can certainly sympathize being that FUL™ III is in its 4th month, and my total earned income in February was $150. But I would urge you not to search for a job but to find a career. There are other discussion boards here, such as Ask The Headhunter, where you can get advice on jump starting your career. In the meantime, Tax Day is only 30 days from now (wonder if Julius Caesar had to file), so you need to be looking beyond that pretty seriously.

Fuskie
Who sees that you are close to paying off one CC and within a few hundred of paying off another, and thinks if you can control spending and stop accumulating debt, you can get your finances under control...

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269595 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/15/2008 6:01 PM
Fuskie: I think OP didn't want to go into too many details - nor does he/she need to do so here. My assumption was that the partner was 28, the 19 year old another family member, and the stepdad's phone - like Granny cable - was an out-of-household expense. But it doesn't really matter what the relationships are as the essential point remains to make the household members contribute and to boost income.

Author: esthesis One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269601 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/15/2008 8:09 PM
Obviously your mortgage and low income are killing you. I agree that the adults in the household need to start contributing financially.

Bartending & waiting tables can bring in some quick cash and leave your partner the time to look for a 9-5 job, too. I've waited tables off and on for years, and plan to do so again if the need arises.

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269800 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/19/2008 11:55 AM
Who cares if you are a Suzie fan?

GHollow what are you talking about this has nothing to do with Suzie...

Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269807 of 308557
Subject: Re: Attn: KK from SuzeOrman & Anyone who can hel Date: 3/19/2008 12:29 PM
I posted an update its called "Anyone who can help Part 2"

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement