No. of Recommendations: 3
Au contraire, mon ami. Thank YOU for the link to that Investopdia article. I didn't realize what a good resource they were. Very clean explanations, nicely illustrated, with good examples.

Oh, man. My life just got more complicated if I want to try to apply those ideas to my portfolio (and its 198 bonds). Talk about having to do penance for my sins for neglecting my back-office duties. I was feeling proud of myself for just tracking what I bought, when I bought it, its CY, YTM, YTD gains, etc. ARRGH. No wonder people buy funds and then let someone else do all that stuff for them. :-)

I've got to think about whether I want to play the game at that level. Value investing I understand. You buy cheap and sell dear. With bonds, it's easy to let maturity be the sale date. So the workload of building a bond portfolio is front-loaded, and it emphasizes the shopping or, at least, that's what I emphasize. If I shop good, I consider myself 90% done. I log the bond, do a trading journal write-up, and then forget about the bond except to mark myself to market weekly.

Now I've got to run portfolio measurements, too? Oh, man. I don't know if I like this. I'm going to go for a walk.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement