UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AKJayhawk Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 918  
Subject: Audio books & MP3 player Date: 8/1/2006 3:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Good evening,

I use my mp3 player primarily for audio books. I usually get unabridged books on CD (mostly used, but some new) from a large local bookstore. Convert them to mp3 using Musicmatch and then transfer to my player, an iRiver 395 (flash, 512 MB).

Looking for a recommendation for a new mp3 device -- specifically trying to find something non-ipod, flash based and at least 2 GB in size. I bought a SanDisk Sansa c150, but returned it.

Two things about it led me to that: first, when I transferred an audio book it wouldn't keep the tracks in the right order, even though they were sorted and named properly (Title Disc 01, Track 01, etc) in Windows Explorer. It kept sorting all the track 01s, then 02s, and so on.

Second, it wouldn't remember where it was in the middle of a track. Anytime I had to stop in the middle of a track and then resume, it would restart at the beginning of the track. Depending on how the audio book is broken into tracks, that could be several minutes backwards.

I really like the way my iRiver functions, but their 2 GB flash player (Clix) seems to be more going for the PSP/video functionality (it plays games and such). It seems to be quite a bit of a departure from the 395. They make one that appears to have similar functionality to my current player (T10), but it only comes in 1GB and costs as much as other players with 2-4GB. I want something with at least 2 GB so that I can load an entire audio book (usually about 300-500 MB at 64kbps sampling) and have some music available as well.

So, have any ideas for a good mp3 player to use with audio books?

Finally, is there a better way to buy audio books -- maybe buying them online and downloading them already in mp3 format? I looked at audible.com, but the cost structure seemed too much compared to what I currently pay for books on CD, and it appears to be a proprietary format as well(?).

Appreciate any recommendations on either subject.

Thanks
• Jeff
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 899 of 918
Subject: Re: Audio books & MP3 player Date: 8/1/2006 6:59 AM
Recommendations: 1
Finally, is there a better way to buy audio books -- maybe buying them online and downloading them already in mp3 format? I looked at audible.com, but the cost structure seemed too much compared to what I currently pay for books on CD, and it appears to be a proprietary format as well(?).

Have you asked at your local library lately ? Ours has partnered with Net Library to provide downloads from the Web. I don't do audio books so I'm clueless on formats but it's probably worth checking. Here's an article about it : http://www.oclc.org/news/releases/20055.htm

rad

Author: AKJayhawk Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 900 of 918
Subject: Re: Audio books & MP3 player Date: 8/3/2006 12:45 AM
That's a good idea -- I'll check into it. I did look into checking out audiobooks at the library once, but about all they had were on cassette, so not workable.

Thanks
Jeff

Author: Kestrel2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 902 of 918
Subject: Re: Audio books & MP3 player Date: 8/24/2006 7:30 AM
Audible is what I use for buying books for my iPod, so I'm not sure where else to point you, unfortunately.

Author: sydsydsyd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 903 of 918
Subject: Re: Audio books & MP3 player Date: 11/6/2006 1:50 AM
Two things about it led me to that: first, when I transferred an audio book it wouldn't keep the tracks in the right order, even though they were sorted and named properly (Title Disc 01, Track 01, etc) in Windows Explorer. It kept sorting all the track 01s, then 02s, and so on.

It was probably sorting based on the tag data in embedded in the files, as opposed to the file names. Most library management software has an option to "set tag data based on file name" (and vice versa) - you could try that. I haven't used MusicMatch in a couple of years, but I seem to recall that it could do this.

I like the iRiver scheme of sorting by folder and file names better, though. It's simple and less likely to give unexpected results. You're correct that the current models seem to be more focused on bells and whistles such as color displays. I have an older 40GB (hard drive) model - they don't seem to make one bigger than 20GB anymore, so in my opinion iRiver has taken a step backward since the old days.

Sorry I can't recommend any specific current players, but please post here when you do find something, as many of us will no doubt be interested.

sydsydsyd

Author: AKJayhawk Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 904 of 918
Subject: Re: Audio books & MP3 player Date: 11/12/2006 8:11 PM
It was probably sorting based on the tag data in embedded in the files, as opposed to the file names.

I somehow stumbled upon the embedded tag data after the fact, and discovered this was the problem. While I guess I was blaming the player, there were enough other things I didn't like that I'm glad I took it back.

I ended up buying an Insignia:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8001306&st=insignia&type=product&id=1155072369023

or http://tinyurl.com/wrzfk if that link breaks

So far it's meeting my needs. One of the main reasons I went with it is no software needs to be installed on the computer -- it just pops up like a thumb drive. Drag & drop the files from Windows Explorer and it's ready to go. It does have a couple of quirks, but pretty minor so far.

Thanks
• Jeff

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement