UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10536  
Subject: Audio/Video Switch Date: 1/3/2013 9:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am still looking into the problem re: DTA Adapter provided by Time-Warner and by using same, I am unable to record on my VCR/DVD player/recorer. Would an Audio/Video switch solve my problem?

Donna
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10104 of 10536
Subject: Re: Audio/Video Switch Date: 1/4/2013 8:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I am still looking into the problem re: DTA Adapter provided by Time-Warner and by using same, I am unable to record on my VCR/DVD player/recorder. Would an Audio/Video switch solve my problem?

Donna

You could get another DTA adapter and have a Y-connection to both from the cable box: one feeds the TV and one the VCR. DTA’s aren’t that expensive (check out Radio Shack).

Can you give an example of what audio/video switch you’re thinking of?

MichaelR

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10105 of 10536
Subject: Re: Audio/Video Switch Date: 1/4/2013 8:57 PM
Thank you for responding Michael. Time-Warner, at the moment, is only "loaning" us the DTA. They will start charging for this item on January 1, 2015. I absolutely detest T-W. If the audio-video switch would work, where I could switch and record on my VCR/DVD, it would certainly solve a problem, particularly when I am out of town.

The DTA's come with a remote control (as, of course, do the Audio/Video switches), and due to that, one cannot watch one program and simultaneously record another.

I have looked at the GE and the Samsung AV switch. I only need to plug in the DTA, VCR/DVD and TV into it currently; however, I may want to add another component in the future. The GE has 4 slots. The Samsung has about 8 (overkill for me).

In the meantime, our Board is livid with T-W on taking channels away and requiring the DTA's. Many of our residents are renters, and the Board (which pay the bulk T-W bill each month), will not be responsible for the DTA's if they are not returned to T-W when the renter leaves. We have a meeting with T-W on the 23rd of this month.

Now, am I correct in stating that T-W could just install a switch for each building, rather than each unit using DTA?

Donna

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10106 of 10536
Subject: Re: Audio/Video Switch Date: 1/4/2013 9:55 PM
Donna:

Can you give a link to the AV switches?

MichaelR

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10111 of 10536
Subject: Re: Audio/Video Switch Date: 1/5/2013 10:24 PM
Michael, here are some:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-4-Device-Audio-Video-Switch/165...

Below is the text of the letter I received from Time-Warner regarding the DTA:

<<

o If you would like for us to install the DTA’s for the residents who need it I just simple need a list and I can get it scheduled for a delivery to you or have someone install them – we are doing thousands of these and I need to go ahead and get it scheduled ASAP to get you on the list of some of the older & Senior residents need some help. they are quite easy to install – just a simple cable line that screws into the box and then to the TV, that’s it.

o These adaptors come with a remote and instructions that are quite easy to understand

o If your residents currently have a Digital Box they do not need a Digital Transition Adaptor (DTA)

o If the residents do not care about the lost Channels then no need for a DTA

o If they have a HDTV – the channel populates on their TV – but it depends on the name brand of the TV as to its location of the said Channel

o **if they still want a DTA then they can simple call the number attached or if you want to coordinate a delivery we can do that for you as well… just let me know…>>

If some of your concerns are the Channels that you are losing – in the contract it clearly states the TWC has the right to add/subtract Channels with the Bulk contract. But we have always added and never have charged any more than agreed to. And then with this Digital conversion we still are trying to give you the same channels at no charge until 2015. >>

The problem with the DTA is the fact that (1) we must use the Remote which comes with the DTA and cannot use our other remotes; (2) We cannot record any of the channels covered by the DTA on our DVD/VCR's, as we cannot connect the DVD/VCR to the DTA; (3) the audio is in and out, never consistent.

Cannot T-W connect a box to each building which would convert those affected channels to Analog from Digital so we can all watch them without the DTA. That way, the signal would come into each condo unit via the coaxial cable and we could record as we did before.

Many of our residents are renters and will not be able to take advantage of the DTA, as the HOA pays for basic cable, but will not pay or be responsible for the DTA's to those units.

Donna

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10112 of 10536
Subject: Re: Audio/Video Switch Date: 1/6/2013 12:28 AM
Donna, my answer first: a cable box that can record on other channels that one being watched and has both analog and digital outputs. The analog for the TV and digital for if you decide to replace your TV. It’s long-term less expensive for T-W to do that than fiddle with DTA converters.

My suggestion is have T-W quote on this and you have on hand, when you meet, a similar quote from a competitor.

T-W can’t run an analog signal from the main switchbox. One, the newer TV’s need a digital signal and, two, it would mean running extra cable to whoever has an analog TV. This can be expensive (not to say extremely difficult).

Having your own switch connected to the DTA (more accurately, a connection hub) can work however the reason for having one is because the system, as it is, is a kludge. You shouldn’t need a hub.

The central problem is the cable box not having both analog and digital outs. That and not separating out channels. T-W. to save in the long run, should replace the cable box rather than kludge with DTA conversion. I have heard that – and this may be a reason they haven’t advanced this so far – is their cable boxes with DVR have problems.

Personally, I’d investigate another company and see what they offer and at what cost.

The other solution is, if the wallet allows, replace the analog TV and run the VCR from one of its analog in/outs.

MichaelR

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10125 of 10536
Subject: Re: Audio/Video Switch Date: 1/10/2013 9:37 PM
Michael, we do not have cable boxes.

Donna

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10126 of 10536
Subject: Re: Audio/Video Switch Date: 1/11/2013 1:15 AM
Michael, we do not have cable boxes.

Donna

I should have realized that – cable comes into the building and is distributed to each apartment where, previously, the TV tuner managed channel selection. Then, with the switch to digital, the need for a D/A box to feed the analog TV and along with that some channels dropped out.

Hear that? My palm smiting my forehead. I should have figured that out.

What T-W needs to do is supply a switching cable box to each apartment so the channel selection is at that switch. Preferably the box should have digital and analog outs and, icing on the cake, a DVR able to record other than what you’re watching. The D/A box would be junked. If T-W won’t do that there are others that would jump at doing it.

The problem is the D/A box: it is the local system’s switch and it’s essentially inadequate for the job. Ideally you should have one remote and that for the cable box.

HTH.

MichaelR

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement