Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rrosenthal3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121594  
Subject: Audit proof returns Date: 4/2/2001 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you want to maximize your chances of NOT being audited, make a copy of EVERY single receipt and piece of paper relating to your deductions - 1 page per deduction - and mail in with your form(s). The larger the backup information, the less likely an audit!!!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49471 of 121594
Subject: Re: Audit proof returns Date: 4/2/2001 4:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
If you want to maximize your chances of NOT being audited, make a copy of EVERY single receipt and piece of paper relating to your deductions - 1 page per deduction - and mail in with your form(s). The larger the backup information, the less likely an audit!!!

And watch out that your kidneys don't get stolen.

This one won't help. The computer picks most of the returns for audit, and it doesn't know whether "proof" was attached or not.

Since human beings review returns before a full-scale audit, some advocate attaching copies of proof of deductions and non-required explanations of odd items. It may or may not help, possibly depending on the mood of the classifier reviewing the return. If one wants to attach such information, I recommend as few sheets of paper as possible, conserving trees, duplicating expenses, and postage. Anyone who thinks a pile of paper is daunting to an IRS auditor probably believes in the tooth fairy.

Phil Marti

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement