No. of Recommendations: 3
Author: Crosenfield | Date: 11/28/04 8:43 PM | Number: 43337
If your income level is too high for a Roth IRA, you are still entitled to a non-deductible traditional IRA.
You need to keep track of the total amount of non-deductible money you put into your traditional IRA, because you do not have to pay tax on that when you are older and start drawing on the IRA.
And even Bill Gates is entitled to a traditional, non-deductible IRA.

True, but the original poster also might consider buying and holding for the long term something like a Total Stock Market Index Fund (with dividends reinvested). This would allow capital gains and dividends to be taxed at a maximum of 15%. In a Traditional IRA, all capital gains and dividends are taxed at your marginal income tax rate when you withdraw them.

Of course, the tax laws can and will change, so there is no guarantee that today's 15% rate will last. However, capital gains have historically been taxed at a lower rate than marginal income, so I think holding a Total Market Index Fund will remain a good alternative to the Traditional IRA.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.