Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm a free-lance author self-publishing a book in 2012 (and not forming a business to write or publish). In conjunction with this, I incurred book cover design expenses for 2011.

For future reference, I'll have publishing fee expenses in 2012, and hopefully royalties from the sales. I understand where/how to report the royalties.

My question is where to report the expenses incurred. I "saw on the Internet" that these might go on Schedule C, but I can't find anything in the C Instructions to support this. Pub 529 doesn't indicate anything on this, either. A search of the IRS site for answers hasn't turned up anything recognizable by me.

Thanks for the help.

Eric Hines
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.