Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: n8larson Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 39754  
Subject: Avalanche Rebuilding Program Begins Date: 10/21/2005 12:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2199023

Avs reportedly decline options for Sakic, Blake

Sakic and Blake each signed five-year deals with the Avalanche in 2001 with a team option for a sixth season. By declining their options, The Post reports that the Avs save roughly $700,000 in cap space for this season because team payroll numbers are based on combined averages of a player's length of contract.

Since together they'll make well over $13M next season, that should provide the Avs some serious cap room to sign an ACTUAL FREAKIN' GOALTENDER. Aebischer hasn't made anyone forget Patrick Roy, that's for dern sure. Sakic and Blake are both getting old. Them's the breaks in the new NHL, I guess. Leave it to Pierre Lecroix to make the first move of the 2006-2007 season. OTOH, maybe by turning this into a contract year early on, he can light a fire under them that will get them playing better.

-n8 (TSN link, btw: http://tinyurl.com/78zxw)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9904 of 39754
Subject: Re: Avalanche Rebuilding Program Begins Date: 10/21/2005 1:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
that should provide the Avs some serious cap room to sign an ACTUAL FREAKIN' GOALTENDER

We have first dibs. We currently have 2 goalies who collectively have less than 240 minutes of NHL experience...

Fuskie
Who is depressed at the Thrashers 22-2 goal imbalance in the last 4 games...

Author: TMFMileHigh Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9923 of 39754
Subject: Re: Avalanche Rebuilding Program Begins Date: 10/21/2005 3:33 PM
Fuskie,

We have first dibs. We currently have 2 goalies who collectively have less than 240 minutes of NHL experience...

Don't get your hopes up. Peter Budaj has people talking here in Denver. He might be young but -- at least from what I've seen -- he's got serious game. If the Avs go for a big trade I'd put my money on a forward. Maybe even -- grin -- Chris Drury.

Tim
TMFMileHigh (Yeah, I did see the Isles get over the Rangers twice. Sweet.)

Author: CPAgentPreppie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9928 of 39754
Subject: Re: Avalanche Rebuilding Program Begins Date: 10/22/2005 11:22 AM
We currently have 2 goalies who collectively have less than 240 minutes of NHL experience...

That's alright. The Canes started for all but one game this season had all of ZERO minutes of non-preseason NHL experience. However, our rookie kicks ass. He had a less than stellar game against <shudder> a good Leafs team (I feel dirty for saying that) and the team was 20 seconds away from going to a shootout. He also blanked Mario, Palfy and Sid the Kid in a shootout in his first ever start. Have I mentioned how much I like the upside of Cam Ward?

Agent

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement