No. of Recommendations: 0

I said:

<<Sometimes, if separate accounting was employed for that money, you may take your after-tax contributions plus some earnings thereon. You must keep the after-tax part of the distribution, but the earnings may be rolled to an IRA. That's a very complicated subject I don't want to get into. And again, the plan must permit such an in-service withdrawal. I "feel only the employer's contribution can be transfered" while you're still working for that employer because that's the law.>>

For clarity purposes, I should have added another "sometimes," and that's when plans allow an in-service distribution of all money after you have attained a certain age, usually 59 1/2. Again, the plan must permit such a withdrawal if you're still employed.

To repeat what I said in my original message, you need to check with your HR folks to see what your plan allows in this regard. If your plan is like most, you'll learn you cannot move your 401k money while you are still working for the plan sponsor.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.