Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone here have any idea how many carb grams the average American ingests per day?

Andrea
Print the post Back To Top
I've heard somewhere 4-500 grams a day. I'm sure it varies a lot by person.

You could try to find out by putting in someone's daily menu into FitDay that you know eats a fairly "average" diet- that might give a general idea, anyway.
I say it's way too many however much it is.

Fool on!
Matt
I am sure I was never "average" - way too addicted!

jak
This is all I could find:

http://www.news.uiuc.edu/scitips/01/04diet.html

"For 10 weeks, 24 mid-life women all above ideal weight ate 1,700-calories-a-day diets. One group ate according to the USDA Food Guide Pyramid – 55 percent carbohydrates, 15 percent protein (or 68 grams per day) and 30 percent fat. The experimental group ate a modified daily diet of 40 percent carbohydrates, 30 percent protein (125 grams a day) and 30 percent fat."

Acoording to my rough calculations, the first group ate 249 grams of carbs a day (total diet of 453 grams of food), and the second group ate an average of 181 grams a day (total diet of about 453 grams).

impolite
No. of Recommendations: 2
The USRDA on the side of this here mac'n'cheese box (for my kids - I swear!) says that for a 2000 calorie a day intake, you should eat 300 gms of carbs a day. For 2500, it's 375. No wonder everybody's fat.

Mitten
The USRDA on the side of this here mac'n'cheese box (for my kids - I swear!) says that for a 2000 calorie a day intake, you should eat 300 gms of carbs a day. For 2500, it's 375. No wonder everybody's fat

I think it might be less the amount of carb grams in that diet, and more the "eat 2000 calories" thing. You have to be a pretty active or large person to really need 2000 calories a day, and most people don't fit the criteria.

impolite
eats 2000 calories a day if it's a free day, and involves chocolate or alcohol. Even better: both.
No. of Recommendations: 1
The USRDA on the side of this here mac'n'cheese box (for my kids - I swear!) says that for a 2000 calorie a day intake, you should eat 300 gms of carbs a day. For 2500, it's 375. No wonder everybody's fat.

-----------------------------

BWAHAHAHA, I think the government is the last place I'd ask for nutrition info!

It's a pork fat thing.

Andrea

FYI - This month's issue of Prevention mag., pg. 119 states:

For Men:

Recommend 1,800-2000 cal per day and 200-245 carb grams per day

For Women:

Recommend 1,200-1,800 cal per day and 175-200 carb grams per day

The issue also contains lots of info on diabetes and good vs. bad carbs

This coming from the people who gave us the Ice Cream diet and Peanut Butter diet, oy! LOL

HR
No. of Recommendations: 1
This coming from the people who gave us the Ice Cream diet and Peanut Butter diet
-----------------------

Prevention magazine had ICE CREAM and PEANUT BUTTER diets?

Holy Carbs.

Maybe their subscriptions were down ;-)

Andrea
counting
Advertisement