Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Not sure if this board is to be used for some "tax help" But I am stuck this year because for the first time my 1099-B shows some "adjustments from wash sales" in my average cost section of some of my sales last year. All of them are losses from bond funds. Would appreciate some help...

On my 1099B from my broker, in some transactions, the average cost is adjusted due to some wash sales within. For example the average cost is reported as 6103.08 on a proceeds (sale) of 6000.00 short term. But the loss amount is recorded on the 1099-B as 101.34 instead of 103.08 due to some wash sale adjustments made by the broker in the average cost calculation. In another, the average cost is 63,016.24 on a sale of 61829.38 BUT the 1099-B reports that the loss is "0.00"
How do I report this correctly. On schedule D it says to subtract "E" ( COST) from "D" ( Sales Price) to get amountto enter in "F". If I did this it would be 103.08 but the loss amount for the transaction as reported on 1099-B is 101.34.
I do my taxes myself and this last year was the first time I sold anything that may require some wash sales adjustments in the average cost number.
Thankyou in advance
T
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement