Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RGEYER Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15  
Subject: Averaging Down Date: 8/30/1998 12:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It's tougher to dollar cost average in closed end funds than open end (due to commissions), but I like
to average down at times like this when folks are in total panic mode.
Unless I'm missing something EMF is at about a
9 year low. I'm finding it tasty in the 9's and
salivating at the chance for the 5's or even 3's!
Since John Templeton is a shrewd, seasoned guy who likes to buy and hold good companies for the long term (his words from a recent interview) this SEEMS like a pretty safe LONG TERM thing to do, to my way of thinking.
If one spends about the same amount each purchase as the price gets cheap - thats lots of shares bought near the bottom. Since this is a diversified fund, I can't see it going to zero.
Anything wrong in my thinking? Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JohnFullerton Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3 of 15
Subject: Re: Averaging Down Date: 9/5/1998 6:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Your thinking is basically sound, except you should know that John Templeton is not running the fund. Mark Mobius is. Templeton was of the "value" school of investing who for decades did very well in international markets. Mobius is also of the value school and has done well during a much shorter time, 10 to 15 years.

Author: RGEYER Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 15
Subject: Re: Averaging Down Date: 9/16/1998 5:57 PM
Recommendations: 0

>>...except you should know that John
>> Templeton is not running the fund. Mark Mobius is.

Thanks John. An excellent point. I don't know that much about Mark, but when I see him in an interview, I'm sort of thinking about him like a clone of John Templeton, so I assume their strategies will be similar, for similar results over the long run.

From your remark about Mark, it sounds like this is the right idea.

It will be interesting to see if we've
found the bottom for a while, or if I get the chance to buy much lower as I'd hoped.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement