UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: auslander Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189517  
Subject: AVG user interface won't open Date: 8/24/2008 2:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Strange problem from AVG today. Using XP with SP3, I tried to open AVG and got an error message "AVG User Interface encountered a problem and needs to close", and wants to send the error to Microsoft.

I then tried to uninstall AVG through their own uninstall feature but ran into another error: "Internal error, Dialog with ID "Avg4EsDlg" was not found in the setup".

Then tried to uninstall through Add/Remove Programs and got the same error. AVG would not uninstall.

Booted into SafeMode and tried to uninstall through Add/Remove Programs, but same error appeared.

I am able to right click the icon in the sys tray and select "Update now" but says no update found.

I'm off to try to Google the problem, but wondering if any of the experts here have seen or heard of this mess before.

For me this seems to be the final straw. I've had nothing but problems since AVG 8.0 replaced 7.5. If I am able to uninstall this from my machine I think I'm done with AVG.

Thanks for any replies.

auslander
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145466 of 189517
Subject: Re: AVG user interface won't open Date: 8/24/2008 2:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Sorry about your issues. Given where you are right now, I would say try and reinstall. Reinstalling often returns the files and entries you need for a proper uninstall. If that does not work, as far as I know, you have limited options.

You do not want to have two Antivirus programs installed on a computer at the same time -- that is a prescription for serious trouble as opposed to the Pain in the Backside issues you have now. Seriously two AV programs often make Windows self destruct so you end up doing a clean windows install which also wipes out all the programs and data on your HDD.

Given the situation you are in, maybe one solution would be to purchase the AVG software so you can get some support -- And use that support to uninstall. There may be other free AV programs, but I am not aware of any. If you decide to go this way, there are some options listed on the AVG web site. http://www.grisoft.com/us.contacts

In any event, I urge you to make sure your backup is current and keep it that way until you get this resolved.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: geocarw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145467 of 189517
Subject: Re: AVG user interface won't open Date: 8/24/2008 3:02 PM
Recommendations: 3
Reinstall AVG and select the 'Repair' option and see if that fixes your problem.

George

Author: dtc100 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145468 of 189517
Subject: Re: AVG user interface won't open Date: 8/24/2008 3:06 PM
Recommendations: 2
To get AVG up and running

Download and save http://free.avg.com/ww.download?prd=afe
Run the install file.
Choose the Uninstall option and select 'Remove user settings' when asked.

My advice is to not install the 'Link Scanner' it slows things down too much, I would also not install the email scan as it slows down emails, the mails will be scanned by the background scanner if you open them - just don't download emails and disable AVG before opening them.

Martin

Author: geocarw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145469 of 189517
Subject: Re: AVG user interface won't open Date: 8/24/2008 3:08 PM
AVG 8.0 was a resource hog for me. I found this article and switched to Avira AntiVir Personal Edition which is working very well. If you want to switch, it may be worth a try.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-softwar...

George

Author: auslander Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145470 of 189517
Subject: Re: AVG user interface won't open Date: 8/24/2008 3:27 PM
Thanks for all the GREAT advice! I have AVG up and running again.

I did a Google on the problem and found many many others with the same situation.

The solution is actually posted on the AVG web site. Download and save the latest installation package, run the install file but select the Uninstall option, check the box to remove user settings. AVG will uninstall. Restart computer and reinstall AVG from the exe file downloaded before.

I did turn off Spybot and SpywareBlaster before doing the uninstall and reinstall.

I mostly use web based e-mail so the e-mail scanner is not an issue. I definitely do not want the Link Scanner as that is an enormous hog.

Thanks for the link to Avira. When I have more time I think I'll uninstall AVG and try out Avira.

I appreciate all of the prompt replies. Many thanks!

auslander

Author: geocarw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145473 of 189517
Subject: Re: AVG user interface won't open Date: 8/24/2008 11:00 PM
I mostly use web based e-mail so the e-mail scanner is not an issue. I definitely do not want the Link Scanner as that is an enormous hog.

Thanks for the link to Avira. When I have more time I think I'll uninstall AVG and try out Avira.

You're welcome

A little more info on the link 'Best Free Anti-Virus Software' http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-softwar... and Avira in particular.

I've been a long-time subscriber to the free versions of Ian "Gizmo" Richards' TechSupport Alert Newsletter and the Windows Secrets Newsletter. The two merged this summer and I opted for a paid subscription. http://windowssecrets.com/

Regarding the article concerning Avira...
<quote>
If you're looking for the best possible protection, our top recommendation is Avira AntiVir Personal Edition. Although its detection rate is outstanding, there are some reservations. First, it lacks the email scanning feature that is only available in the paid version. This means that AntiVir won't warn you of infected emails before you open them. However, should you open an infected email, AntiVir will still spring into action, so the absence of an email scanner doesn't mean that you're not protected from email-based infections. Our second reservation is that AntiVir is quite an intrusive product - you will certainly be well aware of its presence, especially with the advertisements that appear with every update. Finally, AntiVir Personal Edition Classic has a time-limited license. It is renewable, but be aware that you'll have to periodically go through the hoops. The latest version is very light on resources, and includes anti-rootkit and a faster scan rate.
</quote>
(bold emphasis mine)

With respect to the reservations...

o Like you, I use web based email, My ISP is ATT/Yahoo so I have Yahoo Mail Plus. I also use Gmail on occasion. Supposedly, emails are scanned for nasties by both. I rarely download an email (with Thunderbird) and never without having read it first on the web.

o If the update popup ad bothers you, buy the Pro version or kill it in the free version. See: http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-the-Popup-Ads-in-Avira-Antivir... and http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31938419/dpupdchk...

o The time-limited license. I think this is a once-a-year deal so maybe not a big deal.

The sentences in bold were the selling points for me.

George

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement