UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: gtivinsider Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21  
Subject: Avoid Gentiva! Date: 9/27/2001 11:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Another word that should never be associated with Gentiva is strategic. Take it from a long time insider, 99% of Gentiva's employees have no idea what the strategic direction of the company is, let alone how their job contributes to any kind of short or long term plan. Gentiva's plans could not possibly be shared with it's employees because they certainly are not going to cooperate is carrying out a strategy that ensures their eventual unemployment. Or could the lack of a communicated strategy be because one does not exist? People might be taken aback to think that the lack of direction could be a complex case of poor management and communication? Either way, if the employees of Gentiva are not sure, how confident can the shareholders be? The most likely scenario allows the leadership in New York to continue plotting and planning their moves in secret to ensure nothing stands in the way of lining their executive pockets once the company is split or sold off piece by piece! It borders on the unethical and shows no signs of long-term viability. Internally, Gentiva has no identity, how long can this environment endure?

In all my years of employment, I have never seen such poor management and leadership (or lack thereof) of people. Sure, the company has all of the standard logistical benefits the market place requires to retain people, but beyond that, they lack everything. There are no career development plans, there are no incentives to achieve higher standards, no unified objectives and there is no sense of loyalty to the Gentiva associate. The people are simply replaceable pawns in the corporate maneuvers of the executives-expendable. I speak from experience and have endured the whims of unlimited tactical changes of the quarter, only to find they are quickly discarded and readjusted to meet the demands of the next loudest executive. Meanwhile, the employees find out about the changes through the crudest of poorly constructed and deployed communications. The changes are not managed but dictated causing the departure or dismissal of the best and brightest. Even if the changes were beneficial for the corporation the lack of insight to why they are necessary or how they ensure future success is lost and despised by the staff due to the randomness and frequency of failure. The I.S. staff has little, if almost no tenure left and very few know or understand the business. Almost daily, I.S. encounters the negative impacts of the infinite wisdom of previous month's decisions to let good employees or resources go, only to find the company must spend double to replace or account for their void. Most of the remaining I.S. employees are actively seeking employment elsewhere.

I guarantee that 8 out of every 10 non-healthcare employees have absolutely no sense of belonging, job security or loyalty to the company. The staffs has been dwindled down to bare minimums that can hardly keep, business as usual going, let alone improve or grow the business. There is absolutely no infrastructure that allows employees or management to participate in the future planning of the company. These people are on the front lines or in middle management and know the issues, and have the answers to move the company forward. Managers at all levels lack the real empowerment to make things happen. Bruce Croucher, VP of I.S. and Rick Christmas, CIO are prime examples. They have or had no real authority to run I.S. They could not take in a deep breath if New York executives didn't first approve it. Still today, Rick the CIO, remains only as a figurehead for Wall Street with no real authority or involvement. Even if the staff could share their improvement ideas, senior management would never entertain the investment needed to move this business forward.
People are dramatically under trained, overworked, under appreciated and under paid. Corporate management distances themselves physically, geographically and structurally from the core employee base needed to make the company successful. They remotely try to manage on a part time basis and barely know 1% of the administrative management staff. The CIO, CFO, CEO and most of the mid-level senior management executives are so far removed from the people that they don't know what they are doing, how they are doing it and if productive work is actually getting done. Tell me how a CIO in Seattle, WA can lead or manage a large I.S. team in Kansas City with infrequent, intermittent visits (or calls for that matter) with his staff and the remainder of his peers reside in New York City?

People are promoted to their level of incompetence, there are no standards in terms of career development, people seek random advancements of knowledge that do not tie to strategic goals or objectives, hardware and software platforms and applications are results of individual egos and agendas and do not tie to any meaningful plan to leverage the tools for competitive advantages. There is absolutely no link of IS products to the need of gaining market share or any other sales/marketing agenda what so ever. These things are not even spoken about let alone focused on. It should not be surprising to look at Gentiva's closest competitor, who is significantly smaller, and find that they are growing at a much faster pace. Gentiva employees and the shareholders only have to take a very quick look at the .com and e-commerce competitors in today's marketplace to see how technology is being utilized to redefine the healthcare organization of today. Gentiva should open its eyes and realize that they are already in the dark ages in terms of how they are marketing, interfacing with customers and patients and conducting general business with its partners.

Doom and failure are eminent in this environment and culture. Maybe New York executives realize they can't, or do not know how, to lead, manage or turn the company around and that is why they have chosen to ignore the people, strategy and technology and adopt the divide and sell approach. Financially, Morally, Ethically – you decide if it is a company to invest in!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement