Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am in the process of becoming Foolish and slowly exiting Mutual Funds in favor of direct investing into stocks.

My question is: Can you postpone capital gains taxes on money that is in these mutual funds by receiving stock instead of cash ?

I remember several prospecti saying that the mutual funds had the Option to send you stock certificates if selling stocks to raise cash would be disruptive to other fund members.

I was just wondering if you could ask for 166 shares of Dell @60 instead of $10,000 and just move your cost basis of say $4000 over to the stock and not have to immediately pay gains on $6000 ?

Thanks in Advance
-Greg Reynolds / gsr
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.