UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49491  
Subject: Avoid Resume Mistakes Date: 8/12/2012 8:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
There are some good tips here. Including the suggestion to use key words, remove irrelevant work history, and also to update your language when describing your actual job duties. Great example sentence!

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/08/10/avoid-these-dangerou...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48937 of 49491
Subject: Re: Avoid Resume Mistakes Date: 8/12/2012 12:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
omit older, irrelevant experience

When I got more experience, I started omitting older stints, which not only got rid of non-professional jobs I held early on, but very nicely gave the impression that I was much younger than my age (I used to look much younger than my age, too.) Once had a boss who finally saw how old I was by reading a form I had to fill out. He came into my office to express his shock!!

BUT my husband never omitted his first gig becasue it garnered so much interest, it actually got him interviews. His first job was contract programmer for the Apollo space program.

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48938 of 49491
Subject: Re: Avoid Resume Mistakes Date: 8/13/2012 5:11 AM
Recommendations: 0
BUT my husband never omitted his first gig becasue it garnered so much interest, it actually got him interviews. His first job was contract programmer for the Apollo space program.

That sounds interesting!

I have left a couple things in my resume since they often prove to be conversation starters (although nothing as cool as the Apollo program :).

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48939 of 49491
Subject: Re: Avoid Resume Mistakes Date: 8/13/2012 10:48 AM
Recommendations: 1
His first job was contract programmer for the Apollo space program.

If that was my first gig, I would keep in on there too! Very nice ice breaker for an interview "Tell me Mr. Alstro, how was it being a rocket scientist?" :0)

LWW

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement