Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120801  
Subject: avoiding the gift tax Date: 3/7/2013 2:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If someone wanted to give a married couple the max allowed without a gift tax, and that married couple had a joint account, could they, say, put $26K into that account, transfer it electronically, or would they have to explicitly give each person a check for $13K and/or make two $13K transfers?

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 118015 of 120801
Subject: Re: avoiding the gift tax Date: 3/10/2013 3:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
If someone wanted to give a married couple the max allowed without a gift tax, and that married couple had a joint account, could they, say, put $26K into that account, transfer it electronically, or would they have to explicitly give each person a check for $13K and/or make two $13K transfers?

The sure fire way would be to generate a separate transfer to each one. If I had to guess, I would think that a transfer to Mr AND Mrs Doe might also be acceptable to the IRS ... but I am not a tax pro.

Maybe one of our pro's can weigh in if I am incorrect.

Also, remember to deduct any cash gifts (birthday, anniversary, etc.) you have given from the $13K limitation.

Rich
Arizona

Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 118016 of 120801
Subject: Re: avoiding the gift tax Date: 3/10/2013 6:22 PM

Thanks!

==============================
Either way is fine.

Bill

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement