UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1961423  
Subject: Ayn Rand on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital Date: 10/10/2012 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 34
oh how sad this is for our nation.....

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission
from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to
those who deal not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get
rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect
you against them, but protect them against you… you may know that your
society is doomed." … Ayn Rand
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822940 of 1961423
Subject: Re: Ayn Rand on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital Date: 10/10/2012 12:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 26
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission
those who deal not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get
rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect
you against them, but protect them against you… you may know that your

Rand was a crackpot. Ironic that the words of someone - notable in the degree to which she excelled at producing nothing - are used today to defend those who proudly produce nothing, and criticize those who do all the work.

Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1822942 of 1961423
Subject: Re: Ayn Rand on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital Date: 10/10/2012 12:48 PM
Recommendations: 2
MV she excelled at producing nothing

I'm no Randian, but would you say that Shakespeare produced nothing?

Clearly Ayn's best writing strikes a deep chord with humans, even if the logic is incomplete or contradictory.

Peter

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823047 of 1961423
Subject: Re: Ayn Rand on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital Date: 10/10/2012 4:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
Rand was a crackpot. Ironic that the words of someone - notable in the degree to which she excelled at producing nothing - are used today to defend those who proudly produce nothing, and criticize those who do all the work.

Rand was a horrible writer and even worse as philosopher.

And I doubt Romney's ever done an honest day of work in his life. Buying businesses with other people's money, leveraging them and flipping them is a great way to get rich, but it's not really work in any meaningful sense of the term, especially not in the sense that Rand used the term. She was talking about people who invent stuff and make stuff, not people who trade privilege and favors and paper.

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823139 of 1961423
Subject: Re: Ayn Rand on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital Date: 10/10/2012 6:47 PM
Recommendations: 0
you may know that your

And yet, our society is just as good, if not better, than ever.

But DO keep quoting that crackpot for amusement value.

Regards, TTT.
---------------------------------------------------

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823184 of 1961423
Subject: Re: Ayn Rand on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital Date: 10/10/2012 8:50 PM
Recommendations: 3
Rand: "When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permissionfrom men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect you against them, but protect them against you… you may know that your society is doomed." … Ayn Rand

---

wow..you libs live in a made up reality.

"Permission from those who produce nothing' - ie, government bureaucrats and red tape creators.

-----
"when you see that money is flowing to hose who deal not in goods, but in favors"

SHould we say Obama's entire 'green energy' solar and EV and battery program? Money shoveled out to obama bundlers and campaign cash raisers?

-----

"when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work,"

Oh...the PResident of Fannie and Freddie - Obama's buddies in the 'get rich quick' and send 10 million of it to Obama's re election campaign..and those guys still aren't in jail!.....

who single handedly crashed the housing market.......along with Bwarney Franks and Chris Dodd who protected them against reforms wanted by Bush.

-------
Yepper..... the Obama Chicago corruption machine.....

t

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823209 of 1961423
Subject: Re: Ayn Rand on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital Date: 10/10/2012 9:45 PM
xLife wrote: Buying businesses with other people's money, leveraging them and flipping them is a great way to get rich, but it's not really work in any meaningful sense of the term

If that's all Romney did, I'd agree with you, but that's not all he did. You've been listening to--and apparently believing--lies.

http://www.aboutmittromney.com/business.htm

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823213 of 1961423
Subject: Re: Ayn Rand on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital Date: 10/10/2012 9:49 PM
PKnudsen wrote: And yet, our society is just as good, if not better, than ever.

Ohmigod.

American society has been in steady decline over the past 50 years. Much of the decline is due to the lack of self reliance, honor, godliness and rugged individualism, while selfishness is on the rise. People today are more concerned with what others have and spend a good deal of time claiming they deserve the fruits of others' sweat and labor. This can be seen with the advancement of entitlements and the fact that now 47 percent of working Americans pay no Federal income taxes. Yet these people that pay nothing are demanding that others, who are already paying the lion's share, pay more in income tax.

All of this is easily traced back to the United States government and the rise of the entitlement state. The government has conditioned Americans to accept mediocrity and blame others for it. It's never the individual’s failure nor is it the failure of government, but instead it is the failure of someone who's successful.

Perhaps one of the best illustrations of this problem is observed with Obama's reasons for why the economy has not recovered. Obama has blamed the tsunami and nuclear plant shutdown in Japan, earthquakes, the Arab Spring, George Bush, tax cuts, low taxes, high taxes, the “lazy” American people, the real estate market, the stock market, Wall Street, China’s currency manipulation, war costs, capitalism, and a host of other things.

Not once has Obama acknowledged accountability or accepted the clear responsibility for the fact that it is HIS economic policies and divisive political rhetoric and actions that are the direct causal factors responsible for high unemployment and economic atrophy.

Author: spikie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823248 of 1961423
Subject: Re: Ayn Rand on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital Date: 10/11/2012 12:04 AM
Recommendations: 0
oh how sad this is for our nation.....

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission (incresed government regulation under obama)

those who deal not in goods, but in favors; (chicago politics moved to washington)

when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect you against them, but protect them against you… (perfect example of how obama has governed for the past four years)

you may know that your

Well, RT - you can vote for Romney and perhaps stop this slide to the bottom.

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823253 of 1961423
Subject: Re: Ayn Rand on Mitt Romney's Bain Capital Date: 10/11/2012 1:05 AM
I'm no Randian, but would you say that Shakespeare produced nothing?

Clearly Ayn's best writing strikes a deep chord with humans, even if the logic is incomplete or contradictory.

Ayn Rand said, "Art is a selective re-creation of reality according to an artist's metaphysical value-judgments."

She was, no doubt, a deep thinker and someone who valued her own perception of the world highly enough to selectively re-create her own reality from her own value judgements in the written word. In her most notable works she speaks highly of industry, of the means of production, and accredits these human capabilities to man's ability to channel rational thought. But aside from the material value of her writings, her achievements end there. It is a legacy of selfish indulgence that neither spurs invention nor provides a rational framework upon which others may build lasting success. If a snake-oil salesman can be considered "productive" then, yes, I concede she possessed that quality.

More to the point of Ayn Rand as a model of economic productivity, I think of Alan Greenspan as a cautionary example of what can be expected from Rand's acolytes. It's all just a bunch of "invisible hand" BS.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement