UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61157  
Subject: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/20/2011 1:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/03/18/20110318ar...

"
Dozens of Arizona CEOs from hospitals, construction companies and other major businesses joined to turn back new get-tough legislation on illegal immigration, citing worries that emphasis on the issue could hurt the state's struggling economy and cost jobs.
The result Thursday was something much different from a year ago, when Arizona's governor enacted a tough local enforcement measure that put the state at the heart of a fierce national debate over the issue. This time, numerous Republican senators joined with Democrats in rejecting bills dealing with health care, government benefits and everyday activities like driving. . ."

On the potency of the teabaggers: ""This is driven ideology that isn't mainstream with other Republicans - the business leaders, the moderate Republicans," he said. "They have some things in common but they don't have everything. There's a split there."

I'm hoping this is a sign that AZ is pulling back from the right side of the reactionary universe. Ethnic cleansing bills are costing businesses real money. A state that is nearly bankrupt just can't afford to ignore that.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: drippinfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31439 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/20/2011 12:19 PM
Recommendations: 0
Gosh, construction companies coming out against cracking down on illegal immigration. Can you image such a thing?

-drip (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31440 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/20/2011 1:06 PM
Recommendations: 2
<<On the potency of the teabaggers: ""This is driven ideology that isn't mainstream with other Republicans - the business leaders, the moderate Republicans," he said. "They have some things in common but they don't have everything. There's a split there.">>

This illustrates once again that subverting immigration laws is a bipartisan program by both Democrats and Republicans.

Democrats see illegal immigrants as the electoral cannon fodder of the present and future, and Republican business interests love the cheap wages. So they have combined through much of American history to keep the immigration door wide open, and screw the interests of working people in the United States.

It usually takes a good deal of grass roots political power to overcome those entreched political interests. This is the first indication that the Tea Party political power is receding.

Could be of course that they will punish some of those Republicans and be back in the saddle.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31451 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/20/2011 8:45 PM
Recommendations: 1
Democrats see illegal immigrants as the electoral cannon fodder of the present and future

Oh, good grief! Do you actually believe this? Don't you know we're bleeding hearts and actually care about immigrants--legal and otherwise?

Remember when our country turned away most Jews trying to escape the Nazis? My mother's boss was an illegal German Jewish immigrant who ran from the Nazis to Marseilles with his girlfriend, experienced something like what was depicted in the movie Casablanca, and entered the US illegally (via South America & Mexico IIRC). He married his GF--and their son is now a doctor, and he started a business with a Polish Catholic partner. Interestingly, he & his partner sold their small company to a German corporation shortly before my mother retired.

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31452 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/20/2011 9:27 PM
Recommendations: 7
Sorry all of you who want some more text to decide if you want to click on the link -- this one is not really easy to pop in just a few words; and as you know, I can't put too much -- right wing police are watching! I think it is well worth reading otherwise I wouldn't post it.

My contribution to our understanding of illegal immigrants:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/magazine/06lives-t.html

The Tire Iron and the Tamale
By JUSTIN HORNER
Published: March 4, 2011

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31453 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/20/2011 9:39 PM
That brought tears to my eyes--thx for posting, Linda.

=alstro, wondering where I can score a tasty tamale sometime soon

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31454 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/20/2011 9:54 PM
You're welcome.

I hope everyone reads it. Makes you think, makes you appreciate your own circumstances, makes you feel like doing something for someone else. What more can you ask?

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31455 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/20/2011 9:56 PM
Nice story. But you really need to READ the article!

your comment: "My contribution to our understanding of illegal immigrants:"

"She said they lived in Mexico. They were in Oregon so Mommy and Daddy could pick cherries for the next few weeks. Then they were going to pick peaches, then go back home. "

But first you gotta ask......

mooching off other people for cars isn't too smart, and most cars do have a gas gauge, no? And if your friends are the type who don't have jacks in the car, don't borrow them! So why should we give much credence to this writer who seems to be able to write, for the NY Times, but not get much else right in the life? How about a cellphone? How about having AAA? How about not borrowing barely running decrepit cars in the first place?

You break down in TX, and its the nice local people who'll stop and ask if you need help. Along with the highway patrol.

In NYC, folks stop, and ask 'did anyone take the battery yet? ...and my friend wants to the tires.......

So some helpful people helped. Maybe they were legal residents? We got millions of them in TX who don't speak English well.

Why did YOU they were illegals?

The author of the article didn't!

From the story

"She said they lived in Mexico. They were in Oregon so Mommy and Daddy could pick cherries for the next few weeks. Then they were going to pick peaches, then go back home. "

We have lots of folks with green cards who are 'documented' workers.

We have lots of 'documented' migratory workers who get short work permits to pick the fruit during harvest season, then head on back.

Why did you assume they were illegals? CUrious minds want to know! Just because they spoke Spanish? Ate tamales?

They were likely here LEGALLY on work permits - the gov't gives them out every year!

That is 'elite liberalism' at work.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31456 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/20/2011 9:57 PM
lindylib:"What more can you ask? "

How about getting the story right?

t.

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31468 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/21/2011 10:53 AM
My contribution to our understanding of illegal immigrants:

Lindytoes, that was fabulous.

Vickifool

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31477 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/21/2011 1:45 PM
Great story.

Author: IBPore Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31482 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/21/2011 4:44 PM
=alstro, wondering where I can score a tasty tamale sometime soon

The tamale guy comes around every afternoon, about 5:00. "Tamale, tamale, tamale!" $1 apiece. Beef, pork, or chicken.

I.B. Pore

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31483 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/21/2011 4:51 PM
Interesting name change.

Ishtar

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31506 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/22/2011 12:56 PM

The Tire Iron and the Tamale

This is exactly like Jesus' story of the Good Samaritan. Few people (Christians) realize that Jews discriminated against Samaritans like White Americans do to Hispanic Americans/Immigrants.

Vickifool

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31511 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/22/2011 2:32 PM
Actually no, it's not

It's a story of likely LEGAL permitted aliens (Mexicans) here on a work permit visa to pick the crops and then return home.

It's not a case of ILLEGALS who come here, stay here illegally, demand tax payer services, and then scream about it.

No where did it say these were 'undocumented workers' as the loonie left wants to call them.

LIkely they were legal DOCUMENTED workers here on agricultural permits which the US issues by the hundreds of thousands each year for the picking season.

Somehow you want to contort this story into something else? A plea for the real illegals to be allowed to stay here?

t.

Author: cattleman22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31514 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/22/2011 3:32 PM
{{Democrats see illegal immigrants as the electoral cannon fodder of the present and future,}}

Democratic leaders know that a poor and uneducated underclass is their best voting base. This is opposite of the myth that the liberal sheeples spout. They also know that by encouraging and allowing illegal immigration, they will lower the wages for unskilled labor helping them expand their underclass of people who will vote for them.

c

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 31518 of 61157
Subject: Re: AZ ethnic cleansing failing Date: 3/22/2011 9:03 PM
<<Democratic leaders know that a poor and uneducated underclass is their best voting base. This is opposite of the myth that the liberal sheeples spout. They also know that by encouraging and allowing illegal immigration, they will lower the wages for unskilled labor helping them expand their underclass of people who will vote for them.
>>

I often think my liberal friends have no confidence that there will always be a 10% of the population that will be the poorest and from which they can hope to get votes.

They want to expand the number of poor people by bringing in illegals as a kind of electoral insurance policy.

I think their confidence was shaken when Reagan came along and took all those working class voters away from the Democrats and created "Reagan Democrats" for the Republican Party. I was one of 'em, crossing over in 1984.

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement