Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: JudasTouch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3232  
Subject: Re: TASR Date: 1/6/2010 9:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
az5,

You seek the "current thinking" on whether TASR is now a buy. As far as I know, this is still a Rule Breaker pick; if you're a member, I encourage you to navigate over to that board to get their current thinking.

There are some boards in Fooldom that provide extensive, insightful bull and bear coverage on stocks, the kind that will give you a great idea of the current thinking of the community (as opposed to that of the newsletter writers). This board has had that in the past--I encourage you to sort posts by number of recommendations and read the most popular. Has gotten pretty quiet here lately.

For what it's worth, here is my current thinking: I'm mildly surprised that TASR is wallowing so much.

The cons: weird leadership; questionable forthrightness (see the posts about their lawsuit defense "victories"); some questionable use of their products (out of their control); lingering doubts over the safety/suitability of their products (there was a time when they were addressing this constantly--that seems to have dried up); having to rely on government acquisition processes for sales.

The pros: genuinely useful products, to include a unique combination of being law enforcement- and perp-friendly; no credible competition; international expansion; strong R&D efforts; playing into the preserve-life ethos developing around the world.

I have a middling position (underwater, for what it's worth). I'm holding because I think their market is going to keep growing for years. I find it hard to believe that the company won't be able to overcome the obstacles.

By the way, in his own inimitable way, Kahuna is trying to encourage you not to "anchor," meaning don't pin your idea of what the stock is worth to what you paid for it several years ago.

Good luck.

Mike
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement