Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
az58fool: "I own shares of a stock which have appreciated. If I contribute these to my Roth as shares, how are they valued for the contribution?"

Nice try, but not allowed. New contributions to any IRA must be in cash. Rollovers (either trustee-to-trustee or one where you take possession for no more than 60 days [subject, in all likelihood, to 20% withholdin]) may contain permitted assets other than cash.

"Provided I can transfer in kind, I think they would be valued at the basis level. Then when the stock is later sold within the Roth, the gains will be protected from taxation. Is this true or would the stock be valued at current value?"

Well, it really is moot, but if it were feasible (AND IT IS NOT), it more likley would be value on date of contribution -- analogous to a gift or to the conversion of a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.