Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (101) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bobcat713 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9208  
Subject: Re: bobcat713 vs. cnfrost Date: 3/7/2002 6:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Back before move 12 you'all talked about triple pawns.
What do you mean by that?

Wary,

If he had left his bishop on c5, I could have played Bxc5 forcing him to retake with dxc5. He would then have 3 pawns on the c file (c5, c6, & c7), or tripled pawns. Most of the time, this is a big problem because the pawns can't support each other and are often easily taken. Pawns on adjacent files can defend each other, like my pawn on b2 is defending the pawn on a3. Two pawns on the same file (doubled pawns) are usually weak also, but as always, there are exceptions to the rule.

Another pawn concept is the isolated pawn - a pawn that has no pawns on adjacent files. Isolated pawns are often good to attack because they must be defended by pieces. Even though pawns are the weakest pieces on the board, their structure is very important because it determines what kind of strategy a player must use to succeed. Most good books on chess will discuss pawn structure. I even have one - "Pawn Power in Chess" by Hans Kmoch - that discusses nothing else.

Bob - hope this isn't too much information {:-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (101) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement