Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Back in post #10, Rich FoolishCop wondered about "The Two Towers" (TTT) -- will it be as good as Fellowship (FOTR).

Now, looking back, my view is that it had "middle child" syndrome.
Neither as good as FOTR or ROTK.

But, there's a reason.
You probably know that there are three bound books = three movies, but that ACTUALLY, there are SIX "books", since each publication has two "books" in it.

So, are there three books or six books?
Neither. Tolkien has always said it is one great big book 1400 pages long, split up for convenience. (Not like the Chronicles of Narnia or the Harry Potter books that are true separate books)

And what usually happens in a book?
You start out with related themes, then as the book progresses divergence happens, and at the end of the book, the different threads are brought back together again in a climactic event. Pictorially like a football: together at the left end, fat in the middle, and together again at the other end.

So not only is TTT the middle child, the second of three movies, it is the divergent middle of the big LOTR book. My wife who understood FOTR was very confused by TTT the movie. If I didn't know what was happening, I might have been too. To the novice, there are too many unrelated things going on.

Well, enough about TTT. And now, back to ROTK.

Larry
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement