Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55956  
Subject: Re: Weekday Food Date: 1/2/2000 12:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Back in the bad old days when I was working and the local Schwagmans Supermarket had catfish on sale ($2.99/lb and it was FRESH!!), I would cook it on the grill. I would turn on the grill (gas) before I unlocked the door. I could get the meal on the table in 35-45 minutes.

Oriental Grilled Catfish

1-1½ pounds of catfish filets (or any other thin white fleshed fish)
3-5 tablespoons soy sauce (Kikkoman preferred, low sodium is ok.)
1-2 tablespoons dry sherry }
1-2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger } optional
Peanut oil and Pam type spray oil

Grate ginger and mix with sherry and soy sauce. Place fish in glass baking dish and add soy mixture. Roll fish around in marinade and allow to stand at room temperature 15-20 minutes, turning every 5-10 minutes. While fish is marinating, heat up gas grill (or charcoal, which is even better). Put pot of rice on to cook.

Spray a hamburger grilling basket with Pam. Remove fish from marinade and allow to drip off. Using your hands, rub about 1-1½ teaspoon of oil (I use peanut) on each filet and lay on hamburger basket with the thicker side toward the hinge (away from the handle). Close the basket and grill on high temperature 5-7 minutes per side (I have a block of wood that I use to prop the cover of the gas grill open slightly. A foot long section of 2X4 would work nicely). Serve with rice (Basmati or Jasmine) using the reserved marinade on the rice and salad.

NOTES: If I'm in a major hurry and/or I don't have the ginger, I use just the soy sauce. You could also cook it under the broiler if you don't have/want to use a grill.

C.J.V.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Heads Up, Real Estate Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement