Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I married in August of 1998 so therefore I can no longer file head of housefold. My husband who is in the navy did not file taxes for 96 or 97. I just figured his taxes for those two years and find that he owed in 96 but was due a small refund in 97. If we file joint in 98 we are due a refund. Will IRS deduct what he owes for 96 from the 98 refund even though we didn't know each other in 96? If I file married/separate, can the IRS take my refund for 98 and apply it towards the amount he owes from 96 or will my refund be untouched?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.