UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Mary1122 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308830  
Subject: Re: Me vs. My Parents $40K Debt (Long) Date: 9/6/2004 1:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
...Back to the pension loan... wouldn't it be a bit "better" to not be accruing all of the interest and fees...

On paper, yes. In real life, no. They have 7 years until retirement. If they can cut their spending and increase their payments so that their cc debt drops by $500/month, thay will go into retirement not only debt-free but also with better money-management skills.

The big question mark I see in your plan is their mortgage. Normally retirees use the equity in their old house to pay for a less expensive house and get some cash in the process. The extra cash is for an emergency fund, or for long-term health care insurance, for example. Your parents, on the other hand, are planning to buy a retirement home that is as expensive, or more expensive, than their current house. This raises questions:
1. How much equity do they have in their current house? If they are at the end of a 30-year mortgage, they might owe only $5k on their $200k house, and that would be good. If they recently did a cash-out refinance and spent the cash (maybe for your college?), then that's a different story.
2. Assuming they'll get a mortgage on their retirement home, how will they make the payments? From their pension income? Now we're back to the pension, which other posters have addressed.

I think it's fantastic that your parents are taking the time to take stock of their situation and plan for the future, and that you're taking the time to help. One thing I would suggest you add to your homework is to find them a fee-only financial advisor. One good starting point on that research is www.napfa.org.

DH & I are about your parents' age, and with 23-yr-old DD's college paid for, 17-yr-old DS's college coming up, retirement on the horizon, and elderly parents who might need help, we are facing some of the same issues your parents are facing. It can get complicated. Even though your financial knowledge is far superior to that of a lot of people your age, and even better than your parents', it's not quite enough to tackle all the angles. That's why I suggest they see an independent financial advisor.

...My dad got into the habit of paying off one debt by incurring another, perhaps we could call that the melting of the snowball. My mom never uses a credit card...She's been the shining star of LBYM all her life thanks to the way HER parents raised her. In the past couple of months she has spoken out against my dad's spending like she never has before...

Another reason you should set them up with someone else who can guide them, rather than providing all the guidance yourself. I realize they have a shared goal now, but the situation is not one of just numbers on paper. It's about different money management styles within a marriage, spouses' responsibilities to each other, parents' responsibilities to children, and all the historical and emotional baggage that each individual brings to the table.

Good luck.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (48) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Heads Up, Real Estate Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement