UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (71) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886533  
Subject: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 10:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<Is it pork-ageddon? Britain's National Pig Association has sounded the alarm that the world should brace for an "unavoidable" bacon and pork shortage next year.
The cause of the trouble is high pig-feed costs caused by what it describes in a press release as "the global failure of maize and soya harvests.">>

<<It's not just Europe that will be seeing shortages: The U.S. will also face a bacon shortage. The Guardian reports that the cost of bacon has doubled since 2006, and record droughts are to blame. Consumption of bacon is falling as prices have been rising.
"It's not that people don't want to eat pork, it's just that they increasingly can't afford to," economist Steve Meyer told the publication. "We've been warning about this for years. Now that we are talking about bacon, we've really got everyone's attention.">>

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/world-bacon-shortage-un...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867530 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 11:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
and here is a time where it becomes advantageous to know one's local pig farmer...

peace & the inside track
t

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867531 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 11:16 AM
All meat will be affected, not just bacon.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867532 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 11:17 AM
This could be the decisive issue of the 2012 Presidential elections...

What should Obama do?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867533 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 11:31 AM
Recommendations: 18
Obviously, the government needs to add more pork to the budget.

PSU

Author: REtim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867535 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 11:40 AM
What should Obama do?

Why he should follow the example of FDR in '33...slaughter 10 million baby pigs to make sure the price stays high!

Then redistibute the bacon away from those greedy bacon hoarding rich farmers!

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867537 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 12:04 PM
The Guardian reports that the cost of bacon has doubled since 2006, and record droughts are to blame.

I find it interesting that bacon prices keep increasing but I can still get pork loin or pork chops on sale at bargain prices. Perhaps its just supply and demand, but it's surprising to me that bacon has gone up more than 50% over the last five years or so (even on sale) while the prices of some other cuts of pork have stayed more or less the same. I don't see rock bottom prices on pork loin any more (there was a time about 10 years ago when it would go on sale at 99 cents a pound) but it's still pretty inexpensive.

Karen

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867538 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 12:44 PM
This could be the decisive issue of the 2012 Presidential elections...

What should Obama do?

Seattle Pioneer

Be religious sensitive, and deny access to pork to everyone.
(Just kidding)

Author: Imabookworm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867543 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 4:02 PM
Recommendations: 13
What should Obama do?

Stop making ethanol, which is more expensive than gasoline anyway, thus freeing up the corn to be fed to the pigs. This will bring down the price of pork and lots of other foods which are depending upon corn in one form or another and which is currently in short supply due to droughts and ethanol requirements. This will have the added benefit of lowering the price of gasolinea as well as groceries.

Ima

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867544 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 4:21 PM
NPR this morning was reporting that farmers are shipping their livestock due to high feed prices. Hence, meat prices are down for now as all that livestock comes to market. But then once it is gone, prices will rise for replacements.

Eggs, poultry, pork and beef will all be affected, but beef requires the most grain to make a pound of meat. The others are more efficient and may get by with less of push on prices.

In St. Louis, pork steaks made by slicing pork butts into steaks are a local specialty. Traditionally they go for $0.99/lb on special in grocery stores most summer holidays during barbeque season. Prices rose last summer to 1.19 and occasionally 1.29. Labor Day and today they are $0.99 again. And store made brats and sausage are going for $1.99/lb again.

I think you see the effect of lower meat prices in specials at the grocery store. But everyone seems to believe that is temporary. Soon we will pay more.

Stock your freezer.

Author: Levka98 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867545 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 5:05 PM
Bacon is artery clogging, and I see the rise in prices as a good thing. Eat beans and reduce your health-care costs; very LBYM.

Regards,

Levka.

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867548 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 7:10 PM
Recommendations: 3
Imabookworm, you forgot to mention that ethanol burns dirtier than just regular gasoline and does not improve mpg.

Donna

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867550 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 7:27 PM
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.
You will be able to recommend one more post today. (explain this)

Imabookworm, you forgot to mention that ethanol burns dirtier than just regular gasoline and does not improve mpg.

I always knew you were an ecological Fascist at heart.

Desert (want'a ride in my HUMMER ;-) Dave

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867551 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 7:37 PM
Dave, I never could understand why anyone would want a Hummer. I have two friends with them, and all they do is complain about the gas mileage.

Donna (who still likes you, although we are poles apart politically)

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867552 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 7:45 PM
What annoys me about Hummers is that they take up so much space, whether on the road or in parking lots.

Nancy

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867553 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 8:36 PM

Bacon is artery clogging, and I see the rise in prices as a good thing. Eat beans and reduce your health-care costs; very LBYM.

They are not exclusive!

Monday night I had a home-made marinated tofu burger (my own tofu, made from scratch from beans) with lettuce and crispy, crispy bacon on top. It was outstanding.

I only have bacon a few times a year, but when I do, I really enjoy it! And in an ironic twist, I'll be breaking my fast tonight with another tofu/bacon burger...Mmmmmmmm...

Author: spl241 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867554 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 8:49 PM
<iBacon is artery clogging....eat beans and reduce your health-care costs

Ah, the old days....cut jowl bacon into big chunks and cook with overnight-soaked/drained navy beans. Throw in plenty of dark brown sugar and finely-diced onion. Add a little Worcestershire for color and richness. Eat too much and get reminded it might be well to sleep on the couch to avoid an inevitable "sheet fluttering" confrontation with DW.

Ugh, the new days of last 2 1/2 years...no can do this very much. It's called Type 2 diabetes.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867555 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 8:51 PM
Dave, I never could understand why anyone would want a Hummer. I have two friends with them, and all they do is complain about the gas mileage.

Donna (who still likes you, although we are poles apart politically)

Driving instructors tell us to "aim high" when driving. In other words don't just stare at the back bumper of the car ahead but look up to see what's happening a few cars ahead so you can anticipate driving situations.

When in a car (I drove a VW bug for years during college) the best you can do is to look through the windows of the car ahead or drive with your right wheels on the divider line.

But in a pickup truck you can see over most cars so I drove two pickups for 10 years apiece and was well into a decade on my third one (real crew cab with eight foot bed) when President Bush jump started the economy ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jobs_and_Growth_Tax_Relief_Reco... ) with the "Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act" which (among other things) allowed small business owners to a huge tax credit for capital investments in their businesses.

Seeing my patriotic duty I ran out and bought a HUMMER (H2) to help save the economy and because I'd wanted one forever. The original plan was to get it repainted into a woodland camouflage pattern ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodland_(camouflage) ) to go along with my surplus store theme but the economy improved and it was about then that rumors began circulating about the (then) new Army Combat Uniform pattern ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_combat_uniform ) also I got busy and forgot about it.

Later visiting a surplus store in the Pacific Northwest on a sort of busman's holiday I saw TWO H2 HUMMERS parked out front. Turns out the co-owners had had the same idea I'd had.

I've taken several of my infamous Road Trips in my HUMMER and drive it to this day.

My HUMMER gets between 14 & 17 MPG at 45 to 60 MPH on level boulevards and freeways.
(depending on wind speed and direction)

My HUMMER gets between 42 & 57 MPG coasting down freeway off ramps.
(depending on ramp angle, wind speed and direction)

My HUMMER gets 0 MPG at the red light at the bottom of the ramp.
(regardless of wind speed and direction)

My HUMMER gets an average of 11.9 to 12.0 MPG overall.

Desert Dave (who still likes you, although we are poles apart politically too)

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867556 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 9:01 PM
What annoys me about Hummers is that they take up so much space, whether on the road or in parking lots.

Axe-U-Lee HUMMER's are shorter than many cars on the road today.

But, yes, HUMMER's are wider than those little golf cart sized cars many of y'all drive nowadays.

BUT HUMMER's are narrower than 18 wheelers which are near the maximum allowed by law.

Maybe you're just annoyed that you can't see over the HUMMER's?

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867557 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 9:06 PM
I'll be breaking my fast tonight with another tofu/bacon burger...

Er... your name wouldn't happen to be Andy Fox would it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FoxTrot_characters#Andy...

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867558 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 9:12 PM

No, because I can't see through the pickups, either. I live on a narrow road. One side of the road consists of parked cars (and pickups, SUVs, etc.) and, if both drivers drive friendly, it's possible for one car to go uphill and one to go downhill. But if a Hummer is thrown into the equation then someone needs to pull over and let the other person by, which isn't easy due to all the parked cars.

And on the street in back it's even worse.

No, it really is the width that annoys me.

Nancy
Do you own any stock in gas companies? At least the money you spend on gas would help benefit you in the long run.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867560 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/26/2012 9:58 PM
Do you own any stock in gas companies? At least the money you spend on gas would help benefit you in the long run.

A few and some pipelines ;-)

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867561 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 1:39 AM
Er... your name wouldn't happen to be Andy Fox would it?
Hmmmm...maybe!
It does say this about her...

Portrayed as a cheapskate, she tends to consistently keep the family's thermostat down during the winter months to save money, often cold enough to freeze hot drinks, oxygen, and several liquids in the house, in one strip it was so cold the family computer literally froze [...] in one strip, she also replaced the family's telephone with a telegraph and shut off the family's cable TV.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867563 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 8:39 AM
Recommendations: 7

LOL I don't know about the person you're responding to, but I can see right UNDER them.

Well, that's true for real ones. The H2 is not a real one. It's more of a "Let's take a Tahoe and see if we can trick consumers the way bottled water companies did" kind of vehicle.

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867564 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 8:42 AM
Recommendations: 7

No it isn't. You're going to live longer, depleting your own resources and probably relying on redistribution to keep your slowly aging body alive. At least bacon eaters die younger and faster. Plus - most importantly - they get to have bacon. What good is longer life if it is baconless?

xtn

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867565 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 9:49 AM
, but I can see right UNDER them.

Beat me to it...

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867566 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 11:42 AM
At least bacon eaters die younger and faster. Plus - most importantly - they get to have bacon. What good is longer life if it is baconless?

I saw a headline the other day that said eunuchs live longer, and I wondered how many guys would put living longer as their priority.

Nancy

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867567 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 12:21 PM
The bumper sticker I would like to see:

"My OTHER Hummer is an up armored Hum Vee!"

Seattle Pioneer

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867568 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 12:23 PM
Of critical concern during a bacon famine would be the fact that bacon is an important part of clam chowder recipes.

Perhaps President Obama can create bacon stamps or clam chowder stamps to offer Federal subsidies to keep clam chowder affordable.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867569 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 4:36 PM

LOL I don't know about the person you're responding to, but I can see right UNDER them.

Well, that's true for real ones. The H2 is not a real one. It's more of a "Let's take a Tahoe and see if we can trick consumers the way bottled water companies did" kind of vehicle.

Wrong. You are thinking of the Humvee. The Hummer is a civilian vehicle:
This article is about the military vehicle. For the civilian vehicle brand, see Hummer.
The Humvee's widespread use in the Persian Gulf War helped inspire the civilian Hummer automotive marque.
Hummer H1, H2, and H3. The H1 is a civilian derivative of the HMMWV, while the H2 and H3 are based on regular GM truck chassis' and styled after it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humvee

The Hummer IS the civilian vehicle.
The Humvee is the military vehicle.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867570 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 4:41 PM
, but I can see right UNDER them.

Very funny, but unless you guys are driving skateboards there's no way you can see traffic ahead under a HUMMER or any other vehicle.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867571 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 4:47 PM
I'm calling the civilian H1 Hummer a worthy vehicle and the subsequent H2 a poor joke played on consumers. What am I wrong about? I wasn't thinking of the Humvee except as it relates to being the basis for the H1.

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867572 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 4:50 PM
Hmmmm.... become a eunuch or give up bacon? Maybe the most difficult decision ever.

xtn

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867573 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 4:55 PM
Recommendations: 2

Why are you saying wrong? The poster said the let's take a Tahoe and see if we can trick consumers the way bottled water companies did kind of vehicle. The Tahoe is based on the GM truck chassis. The H2 is based on the GM truck chassis. So the poster is right that the H2 is not real one (H1).

This was a jab at H2 owners that think they're getting some great offroad vehicle that will outperform other similar civilian vehicles. It's a jab that hanging fancy metal on a Tahoe chassis (GM chassis) won't make it better than a Tahoe.

The jab has been used numerous times over the years. It's a jab at the macho image that H2 drivers want to portray that they're tough and can go anywhere so you better get out of their way. No much unlike some of your posts on your H2.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867574 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 5:33 PM
Very funny, but unless you guys are driving skateboards there's no way you can see traffic ahead under a HUMMER or any other vehicle. </u>

Um... yes I can. At a reasonable following distance I can easily see another car or even two ahead of an H1 by looking under it on any flat roadway. Can't see the entire vehicle of course, but can definitely see their tires, and unless it's another high-clearance vehicle, usually the whole rear bumper area.

So there's no way you can say there's no way.

xtn

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867575 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 5:34 PM
Yes, that's right, you are wrong.

Your derisive joke is on you. Hummer drivers weren't buying tanks, they were buying 4X4 luxury vehicles.

The civilian H1 Hummer is an off road vehicle.

The civilian H2 Hummer is a 4X4 luxury vehicle. A common joke among Hummer drivers is that most Hummers have never driven off road.

A local dealer used to organize Hummer "caravans" to remote places but cautioned drivers to remove step bars and other add-ons before going off road. They pointedly disclaimed any responsibility for scratched chrome.

My Hummer has been off road a few times but it's 4X4 capabilities are used mostly for driving over curbs and those pesky concrete parking place tire stops in parking lots.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867576 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 5:46 PM

Why are you saying wrong?

Because it is.

This was a jab at H2 owners that think they're getting some great offroad vehicle that will outperform other similar civilian vehicles.

Can you point us to some of these mythical H2 owners?

It's a jab at the macho image that H2 drivers want to portray that they're tough and can go anywhere so you better get out of their way.

All rude drivers drive H2's? I think you are guilty of stereotyping.

No much unlike some of your posts on your H2.

Please point us to one.

Desert (link please) Dave

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867577 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 5:57 PM
You're an engineer right? So you can figure out how much "reasonable distance" one would have to have to be able to see "another car or even two ahead" under an H2 on a flat roadway.

What angle of view are we talking about here?
10 degrees?
5 degrees?
skateboard degrees?

I think you're mistaking "flat" for being in a dip while the vehicle ahead is on a rise.

Oh, and what other vehicles can you see under at that distance that give you such a view?

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867578 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/27/2012 9:56 PM
unless you guys are driving skateboards

Well, xtn drives a Lotus Elise, and I drive a Honda S2000. Both are low slung 2 seat roadsters. Mine has an aftermarket suspension and rides about 1.5" lower than it was set at the factory. Suffice it to say, it's pretty low. I can't see over the hood of a large family sedan next to me at a stoplight.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867579 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 11:01 AM
All rude drivers drive H2's? I think you are guilty of stereotyping.

Sure, I'm stereotyping. Stereotypes are often develop from observations from a lot of people. Please don't pretend you have not heard of this before. I will readily admit that I think you own a Hummer to portray a macho image. It surely fits the rugged survivalist image you try to portray on the TEOTWAWKI board and the photo of yourself in camouflage on your blog.

PSU

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867580 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 11:27 AM
I will readily admit that I think you own a Hummer to portray a macho image. It surely fits the rugged survivalist image you try to portray on the TEOTWAWKI board and the photo of yourself in camouflage on your blog.

Well, (blush) I am a rugged survivalist, but real rugged survivalists don't need to "portray a macho image" we just are (sound of explosions in the background).

Face the fact: You are suffering from HUMMER envy!

Desert (felling macho;-) Dave

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867581 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 11:54 AM

I hate to be rude about this, but that is a really stupid statement.

Nancy
hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867582 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 11:57 AM

Unlike Nancy, I don't mind being rude. It was a really stupid statement.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867583 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:00 PM

I hate to be rude about this, but that is a really stupid statement.

I hate to be rude about this, but that was a joke.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867584 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:02 PM

Unlike Nancy, I don't mind being rude. It was a really stupid statement.

Don't hide behind Nancy's skirts, come on out and admit you were wrong.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867585 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:05 PM
Don't hide behind Nancy's skirts, come on out and admit you were wrong.

Well, I fail to see where I was wrong.

PSU

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867586 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:06 PM
Recommendations: 8
When a person buys a Hummer, do you have to sign a form requiring you to type Hummer in all caps from that day forward?

Lara Amber

CIVIC

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867587 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:15 PM
Hmmmm...maybe I should start saying I drive a CRAPPY OLD VOLVO.

My CRAPPY OLD VOLVO is quite comfortable, and super-cheap.
My CRAPPY OLD VOLVO gets 20 MPG city and 30 MPG Highway.
My CRAPPY OLD VOLVO is blue!

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867588 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:23 PM
Well, I fail to see where I was wrong.

Let's start with:

"The jab has been used numerous times over the years. It's a jab at the macho image that H2 drivers want to portray that they're tough and can go anywhere so you better get out of their way. No much unlike some of your posts on your H2."

All of TMF is available for you to search, have at it.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867589 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:25 PM
When a person buys a Hummer, do you have to sign a form requiring you to type Hummer in all caps from that day forward?

Hee hee, no, but it is fun;-)

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867590 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:29 PM
Hmmmm...maybe I should start saying I drive a CRAPPY OLD VOLVO.

If y'er gettin' 20 to 30 MPG ya' might want'a drop the word "CRAPPY"

Desert (Loves his HUMMER) Dave

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867591 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:33 PM

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867592 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:33 PM
Well, it kind of breaks a lot. I've replaced the O2 sensor twice since getting it a year ago (once under warrantee).

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867594 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 12:38 PM
Well, it kind of breaks a lot. I've replaced the O2 sensor twice since getting it a year ago (once under warrantee).

Yikes! Well all cars break something eventually, I've even had to have my HUMMER fixed a time or two.

Desert (darn caps key;-) Dave

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867596 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 1:00 PM
Let's start with:

Okay, let's start there. That statement is my opinion. It is the impression I get from your total body of posts here. Impression can be wrong. Unless we meet, I cannot change my impression of you. Therefore, I see nothing right now to change my opinion.

Lara pointing out your capitalization of Hummer is another in your face "I thumb my nose at society" impression I get from your posts. That just strengthens, not lessens my opinion.

PSU

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867600 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 1:43 PM
Who cares about bacon. What about my pork roll egg and cheese on a hard roll!! Doesn't anybody care about that?????

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867618 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 5:46 PM
That statement is my opinion.

Opinions are subjective. There is nothing I am willing to do to change your subjective opinion so I guess you're stuck it.

Lara pointing out your capitalization of Hummer is another in your face "I thumb my nose at society" impression I get from your posts.

Lara didn't say it was "in your face" or "I thumb my nose at society" you did.

You seem to be imputing a lot of motives and personalities.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867619 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 5:49 PM
Who cares about bacon. What about my pork roll egg and cheese on a hard roll!! Doesn't anybody care about that?????

Sorry, InconclusiveFool, we seem to be on a HUMMER witch hunt today.

If it makes you feel any better I like pork rolls too.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867624 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 9/28/2012 8:57 PM
What angle of view are we talking about here?
10 degrees?
5 degrees?
skateboard degrees?

I don't want to get this whole thing started again, but I do want to admit that I was wrong on this point.

While driving back after lunch with some friends I WAS able to see under the pickup ahead to see the wheels of the vehicle ahead of him while on a flat stretch of freeway if I stayed back about 100 yards.

Desert (The world's greatest excuse pales in the face of mediocre performance.) Dave

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867655 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/1/2012 3:30 PM
I find it interesting that bacon prices keep increasing but I can still get pork loin or pork chops on sale at bargain prices. Perhaps its just supply and demand, but it's surprising to me that bacon has gone up more than 50% over the last five years or so (even on sale) while the prices of some other cuts of pork have stayed more or less the same. I don't see rock bottom prices on pork loin any more (there was a time about 10 years ago when it would go on sale at 99 cents a pound) but it's still pretty inexpensive.

I've noticed the same thing.

I can get pork chops with skin for $1.99/pound today, or I can wait until next week's sale starts on Wednesday and get them for $1.89. I think someone forgot to tell Tony's that there's a pork shortage!

Gary and I have decided that next year when we get our beef quarter, we're probably going to get a 1/4 or 1/2 of pork, too.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867699 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/3/2012 9:54 AM
You're an engineer right? So you can figure out how much "reasonable distance" one would have to have to be able to see "another car or even two ahead" under an H2 on a flat roadway.

I got through three years of Aerospace Engineering twenty years ago before giving up to go to work. I've worked in the industrial/commercial construction industry since then, with a large hunk of that time designing architecturally, mechanically, and electrically. Not sure what that tells you, but I'm good with math and angles, including the ability to sight a relatively flat surface from a dip.

I also claimed I can see under an H1, not an H2. I drive a Lotus Exige. And it, like an S2000 already mentioned, is lowered about 1.5 inches. My eyeballs sit at 34 inches above the road surface as I sit in my car. I have to look up the nostrils of somebody driving a lowered S2000. The first reference I find tells me that an H1 has 16" clearance. So I only need to be about ten percent farther behind the H1 than he is behind the car in front of him in order for me to see the rear tires of that leading car. I'm usually farther than that because the average following distance on our highways is too short for me. But it doesn't have to be super far. If the leader is 50' ahead of the H1, I need to be about 55' to 60' behind the H1. The further back I am the more of the leading car I can see. If that H1 does become elevated above me a couple of feet, due to he being on a rise or me being in a dip, I can see THE SKY under him.

Other such vehicles that I can see under at similar distances include anything with that much or more clearance. Duh. 35" tires on a lifted pickup truck will do it, although the view is blocked somewhat by straight axles and pumpkins. Works on lower vehicles too, although of course requiring an increased following distance for me.

xtn

xtn

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867701 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/3/2012 10:19 AM
Yes, that's right, you are wrong.
Your derisive joke is on you. Hummer drivers weren't buying tanks, they were buying 4X4 luxury vehicles.
The civilian H1 Hummer is an off road vehicle.
The civilian H2 Hummer is a 4X4 luxury vehicle. A common joke among Hummer drivers is that most Hummers have never driven off road.
A local dealer used to organize Hummer "caravans" to remote places but cautioned drivers to remove step bars and other add-ons before going off road. They pointedly disclaimed any responsibility for scratched chrome.
My Hummer has been off road a few times but it's 4X4 capabilities are used mostly for driving over curbs and those pesky concrete parking place tire stops in parking lots.

My opinion of H1s is that they are awesome, and my opinion of H2s is that they are not. It is an opinion, and if you want me to be wrong, then I'm going to be wrong. Whatever.

But don't change your reason. You said I was wrong because I confused them with the military units. I had not. Now you're saying I'm wrong because your perception of the H2 buyers' state of mind at the time of purchase is different than mine?

I've got to say that riding around in my brother's H2 doesn't make me feel luxurious at all. It makes me feel claustrophobic and embarrassed. And I'm wondering why they followed along with the 'Hummer HX' moniker at all - what with the fact that they've practically nothing in common with the H1s - if it wasn't just marketing people trying to get sales from the reputation/image that the H1 had garnered.

xtn

PS - I can't believe we're arguing over this. I mean I can believe I am, but I'm really surprised you're at my level.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867702 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/3/2012 10:22 AM
While driving back after lunch with some friends I WAS able to see under the pickup ahead to see the wheels of the vehicle ahead of him while on a flat stretch of freeway if I stayed back about 100 yards.

Wait wait wait. Were you driving your HUMMER?

xtn

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867705 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/3/2012 11:05 AM
I've got to say that riding around in my brother's H2 doesn't make me feel luxurious at all.

You're not the only one to feel that way.

"The truck also suffered from a less-than-competitive amount of cargo space, tight headroom, a short list of luxury features and, with the exception of the later versions, mediocre interior materials."
http://www.edmunds.com/hummer/h2/

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868301 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/19/2012 11:18 AM
Stop making ethanol, which is more expensive than gasoline anyway,

I'm sorry I can't cite a source, but I remember reading that production of 1 gallon of ethanol consumes more energy than is contained in that gallon.

Even Al Gore now admits that ethanol subsidies were a huge mistake.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868302 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/19/2012 11:20 AM
bacon has gone up more than 50% over the last five years…

Are you sure about that?

I ask because my bacon budget hasn't changed over the last five years, and I haven't cut back on my consumption at all!

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868306 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/19/2012 12:53 PM
I'm sorry I can't cite a source, but I remember reading that production of 1 gallon of ethanol consumes more energy than is contained in that gallon.

The percentage gain for producing ethanol from CORN isn't much. The figures vary depending on the source. It is probably not negative, but the net gain is low.

Ethanol from sugar cane has a much higher gain. Decreasing sugar in the food supply is also much less political.

The continental US isn't going to grow much sugar cane. Ethanol from corn is a loser, but ethanol from other sources has potential. It is unfortunate that ethanol has been turned into a pork barrel focusing on an impractical solution.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868309 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/19/2012 2:34 PM
It is probably not negative…

Not even close to break-even. Here's my source:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/01/8.23.01/Pimentel-et...

Excerpt:
"Adding up the energy costs of corn production and its conversion to ethanol, 131,000 Btu are needed to make 1 gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 Btu. "Put another way," Pimentel said, "about 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in ethanol. Every time you make 1 gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 Btu."

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868315 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/19/2012 6:41 PM

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/01/8.23.01/Pimentel-et......

Your source is over ten years old. Addition studies have been done since then. Pimental's results also differed quite a bit for other studies of the time. Look at the table on page 2 of the following report.

http://www.transportation.anl.gov/pdfs/AF/265.pdf

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868316 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/19/2012 8:01 PM
<<Excerpt:
"Adding up the energy costs of corn production and its conversion to ethanol, 131,000 Btu are needed to make 1 gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 Btu. "Put another way," Pimentel said, "about 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in ethanol. Every time you make 1 gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 Btu.">>

I suppose that's actually pretty good for a government energy saving program. I would guess that electric cars don't do nearly as well.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868326 of 886533
Subject: Re: Bacon Shortage Imminent Date: 10/20/2012 7:37 AM

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/01/8.23.01/Pimentel-et...

I was unable to open that source but found (See; http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_17166.cfm ) instead which references your original source. A more recent article by Pimentel can be found at http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/july05/ethanol.toocostly... .

C.J.V. - and dat don’t address the pollution costs of producing ethanol either, no

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (71) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement