Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 5

You wrote, My wife's company did match her Roth 401(k) contributions, at the same rate it matched traditional 401(k) contributions. However, the matches--whether by Plan requirement or by IRS rule, I'm unclear--went into her traditional 401(k) plan.

All employer contributions must be pre-tax. It's the law.

Besides, the employee eventually has to pay taxes on that contribution.

Now if the plan allows it, the employee might be able to do an in-plan conversion of the matching contribution to Roth. Mine does, but I don't think most allow that.

If allowed and you do an in-plan conversion, the administrator will send you a 1099-R at tax time on the converted amount.

- Joel
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.