Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Drbeth2000 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Bad Business Loan Date: 4/14/2011 7:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My DH worked for many years for a company which went bankrupt. During the 2009 year he loaned the company about $5,000. The company went through bankrupcy proceedings in 2010, and listed this debt in a letter from the bankrupcy lawyers. The debt is listed in my DH's business name not his personal name. We then received a latter from the bakrupcy attorney that all the assets had been sold and that we were to recive nothing.

So, I want to deduct this as a bad business debt. This was not income owed, but money he loaned to the owner of the company. We also have a letter from the owner stating the nature of the loan. Basically my DH loaned the money so the company coud fullfull the orders and keep the clients happy. It didn't work.

Now I want to deduct the bad loan from our taxes. I am using Turbo Tax and I want to know where to put it, how to word it and what supporting documents I need in case of an audit. Right now I have it under miscellaneous expenses.

Please not, that even with this loan as an expense, my DH has about $20,000 income after all expenses are taken out (home office, etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Beth
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Drbeth2000 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113119 of 121219
Subject: Re: Bad Business Loan Date: 4/14/2011 7:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
To clarify,

My DH is self-employed and worked for the company as a consultant. The loan was taken from his business account, not personal, under his business name (not his real name).

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113120 of 121219
Subject: Re: Bad Business Loan Date: 4/14/2011 8:17 PM
My DH is self-employed and worked for the company as a consultant. The loan was taken from his business account, not personal, under his business name (not his real name).

Unless your husband was in the business of lending money, it's a non-business bad debt. The loss is entered on Schedule D as a long-term capital loss, subject to the usual limitations on capital loss deductions. It doesn't matter what account the funds came from.

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement