UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JnJfools Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 2:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
It is only early afternoon and I already feel like I have had a horrible week. One of those days where you want to jump back in bed, pull the sheets over your head and wish the day would start over.

This morning, I find out that the bank took $4 out of my checking account for calling them on their error. Two phone calls later, they agree to remove it but it will take two days. Well, if I occur any fees because of this...they are paying.

Then, I fell asleep and didn't wake up in enough time to go to my class so I missed turning in my homework. Luckily, I called the division office and left a message.

So, I call my DF to tell him that I missed class and I will meet him at KFC for lunch. I tear through the apartment to find the money he hid (since I am now giving him the responsibilty of handling cash since he has proved he is now financially responsible). I found a few bucks and decided to take the coin (extra efund savings) box to put the few pennies I have in the car into it. I close the door and *poof* I am locked out as I left my keys in the apartment. I walk over to the management office and tell them "I need lock out service". 20 minutes later and much gruff from the management office, they will open the door but for $10. So I took $10 worth of coins and got back into the apartment.

I find my fiance as I am driving to KFC and we have lunch elsewhere.
I whine how I am just going to lock myself in this apartment and basically afraid to move in fear what will happen next.

I walk in the front of the building and pick up the mail. I look at it and think 'wow...who is this person and how do they know who I am?'. My friends (who is getting married next month) maid of honor sent me an invitation to a Bachlorette party (because I am decent & Fool would pull this post off...I can't repeat what it said). $30 for the dinner,
$10 plus tips for the St$(p club and $30-$40 for the present. First thing I did was call DF and ask what he thought of me attending such a thing. He said it wouldn't bother him (I am not too sure about that..).
Look over the budget...friends bridal shower, parents anniversary, brothers birthday, our anniversary, sisters birthday, friends wedding, car repair, DF birthday, FMIL & SIL birthdays, high school reunion, father's birthday, Hannukah, Christmas, my birthday and my mothers.
'OY!' I thought to myself. How are we still managing to pay off debt with this going on?.

I had to decline and explain to the maid of honor why I couldn't attend.
I called my friend and left a message explaining why I can't go. I am glad other people have $200-$300 to blow on her pre-wedding fund but responsible, foolish me?. Sorry, no can do with all these other situations over our head. We still have to pay debt off!.

Phew, thanks for letting me share this. I hope that you see how important saving coins, efund money and paying debt off is. Imagine having all this if you could barely pay your debt.

JnJfools
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irina39 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90286 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 3:00 PM
Recommendations: 4
JnJ

Took lot of guts to call friend and maid of honor and decline, instead of caving in to the 'its her day' mania.

I would rethink your day just a bit. The keys and class, well ... *&%$#$%. You did not then say to yourself, "SELF, since I've already blown $$, might as well, since it couldn't hurt worse"

Instead, you acted responsibly with respect to LBYM [and keeping DF comfortable] and with understanding of upcoming expenses...

All in ALL a Pretty Good Day

Stay Foolish

Irina

Author: Catleen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90290 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 3:06 PM
Recommendations: 0
JnJ:

I am going to have to lend you either Midnight the black cat or Misty the Grey one. They will cuddle you as you pull the sheets over your head and wish this week gone. They could drop their toys in the bed while you hide.

Lucky for you that you have established your budget and sticking to your guns. Otherwise all the events could have really stuck it to you.

I can relate to finding coins around the house. I have been known to pull quarters out of jar to fund a few dollars of gas for the car. Other people would just go get some money. My stance is the same as yours, once I have used up my money for that week, that is it!

Good decision.

Yikes those wedding really cost a bunch. Can't help feeling that this could be done a little cheaper.

Catleen

Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90294 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 3:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
JnJ

Can I ask question?? Why a gift for a bachelorette party? Don't you already give a gift at the shower and the wedding?? Don't know how you girls do it but at every bachelor party I was ever at the party itself is the gift. Everyone pays their own way but the guest of honor, his food and drinks are covered by the rest of the gang, which when split amongst 10-12, or more, guys doesn't really add too much to the bill. Of course there are some costs associated with the party that could keep you from going considering your schedule but in the main I was just curious about this gift thing. Sounds like brides really rack it up where you are from.

Wolfshead

Author: JnJfools Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90298 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 3:14 PM
Wolf,

It is written on the invitation that it is a gift party. I haven't gone to too many bachlorette parties (but all expected gifts) so I am not sure if this a materialstic move or just the norm.

JnJfools

Author: Kilbia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90305 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 3:36 PM
It is written on the invitation that it is a gift party. I haven't gone to too many bachlorette parties (but all expected gifts) so I am not sure if this a materialstic move or just the norm.

Okay...

If the bride isn't arranging her own bachelorette party (and IIRC she shouldn't be), the wench of honour could very well opt to "combine" it with a bridal shower and thus request that folks bring gifts. I can actually see this being a very viable option if the bride would rather not subject her friends to her family (or vice versa), and is thus wanting any bridal showers to be family-only.

But if she is arranging her own party, it's (IMO) just plain rude to specify that it will be a gift occasion. FWIW, I was explicitly ordering my bachelorette party guests NOT to bring any gifts, because we were going to a day spa and I wanted to make sure they'd have the money to come get pampered with me! =)

- Kilbia
dreaming wistfully of the next time she can go back. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Author: buckzimmer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90311 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 4:07 PM
<<First thing I did was call DF and ask what he thought of me attending such a thing. He said it wouldn't bother him (I am not too sure about that..)>>

I'm about to give away a "man" secret:

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

He's a smart man. Now he can go to a bachelor party in the future without any objections from you, because he can say, "but I didn't have any problem with you going to a bachelorette party."

Plus, it seems that despite the high prices for watered down beer at strip joints and women wearing dollar bills, bachelor parties look cheaper.

Fred

Author: Kilbia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90315 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 4:18 PM
Recommendations: 6
Spoiler space left intact.

I'm about to give away a "man" secret:

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

He's a smart man. Now he can go to a bachelor party in the future without any objections from you, because he can say, "but I didn't have any problem with you going to a bachelorette party."

You know, my best friend had her bachelorette party at LaBare (the male strip club in Dallas). And afterward, I joked to my husband about the vast difference between bachelor parties at female strip clubs and bachelorette parties at male strip clubs:

The bachelor party is subjecting the groom to tons of hot women he will never have a chance to score with because he's getting married and thus committed to a monogamous relationship.

The bachelorette party is subjecting the bride to tons of hot men she will never have a chance to score with because they're probably all gay!

- Kilbia
probably gonna have to go craft an eloquent apology to Rav and his FAB friends on GOLP now. =)

Author: JnJfools Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90323 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 4:24 PM
Fred,

Hah ha!. He admitted that he went to a few strip clubs prior and I have never been to one.

I am sorry but I have no interest in going to one. When females strip, they are whores but when men do it, they are studs.

I hate the stereotypes and the degragation to females.

JnJfools
(I am woman, hear me roar!)

Author: FixitWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90336 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 5:35 PM
Can I ask question?? Why a gift for a bachelorette party? Don't you already give a gift at the shower and the wedding?? Don't know how you girls do it but at every bachelor party I was ever at the party itself is the gift. Everyone pays their own way but the guest of honor, his food and drinks are covered by the rest of the gang, which when split amongst 10-12, or more, guys doesn't really add too much to the bill. Of course there are some costs associated with the party that could keep you from going considering your schedule but in the main I was just curious about this gift thing. Sounds like brides really rack it up where you are from.

Ahhh...the gifts at a bachelorette party are lingerie or gag gifts...and there are some unbelievable gag gifts out there! LOL
Bride also gets free party, drinks, etc.

Kim

Author: vsqueen Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90356 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 6:56 PM
<<Hah ha!. He admitted that he went to a few strip clubs prior and I have never been to one.>>

Hey J,

I will tell you that I have been to a couple (full nudity in DC) with some male friends and will tell you that I never could see what the excitement was about. I was just ticked that I had to pay $15.00 for a hamburger and fries! (I guess you're paying for "atmosphere"?

Wendy

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90357 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 7:20 PM
I will tell you that I have been to a couple (full nudity in DC) with some male friends and will tell you that I never could see what the excitement was about. I was just ticked that I had to pay $15.00 for a hamburger and fries! (I guess you're paying for "atmosphere"?

Wendy,

How many times do we have to tell you that you should be dressed properly when eating those expensive hamburgers.

;-)

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90358 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 7:23 PM
Good for you for sticking to your budget!

Maybe I'm out of line, but if I were doing my very best to get out
of debt and my friends knew it, I'd say to plan a party at that level
of expense was really rude. They make you uncomfortable, remind you of
what you can't afford, and it isn't nice to do that to one's friends.
If they later try to make you feel guilty for not going, that's worse.
Just my 2c.

Chris

Author: vsqueen Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90364 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 8:00 PM
You know Tony, I was going to defend you against all those "old" jokes by simply declaring you had had a bad day, but now I have decided to just let everyone bring it on!!!! ;)

Wendy
LOVES to eat hamburgers in the nude

Author: devbost One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90366 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 8:33 PM
>>I will tell you that I have been to a couple (full nudity in DC) with some male friends and will tell you that I never could see what the excitement was about. I was just ticked that I had to pay $15.00 for a hamburger and fries! (I guess you're paying for "atmosphere"?<<

Sounds a lot like the $8 orange juices in the strip clubs in Las Vegas.

-Devin

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 90373 of 308881
Subject: Re: Bad day/Bachlorette party/efund (long) Date: 9/6/2001 9:59 PM
Wendy
LOVES to eat hamburgers in the nude

Burgers from Wendy's without the buns.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement