UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: noviceinvestor Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3859  
Subject: Bad investing:PCTH&SYQT Date: 6/26/1997 7:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I thought I saw tremendous revenue growth and earnings potential in PCTH so I bought some. To date nothing. Does anyone have any news? It seems that there are very few, if any, good sources of quality info on small companies.

Unfortunately, I purchased SYQT @ 4 & chnge. Should I hold on or bail.

Any comments would be appreciated.

A Novice
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 53 of 3859
Subject: Re: Bad investing:PCTH&SYQT Date: 6/27/1997 8:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<I thought I saw tremendous revenue growth and earnings potential in PCTH so I bought some. To date nothing. Does anyone have any news? It seems that there are very few, if any, good sources of quality info on small companies.

Unfortunately, I purchased SYQT @ 4 & chnge. Should I hold on or bail.>

On the left side of the Motley Fool home page is a list of links as follows:

Read This First
Welcome
The Fool's School
The 13 Steps
Dow Approach
Valuing Stocks
Bust The Tipsters
FoolMart

You should go to FoolMart and order "The Motley Fool's Investment Guide". If you are too impatient to get it by mail, you can also get a copy (either hardbound or paperback from your neighborhood deep-discount book dealer. While waiting for your book to arrive, you should thoroughly explore all the other items in the above list. Do not even sell your stock until you do this.

As a general rule, if you do not know the reason you are holding a stock you should sell it. But if you have no better place to put the money, perhaps continuing to hold the stock IS the best place for it. Consider your reasons for buying the stock in the first place? Are they valid? Has any significant change occurred since you bought it? How long have you held it? I infer that it has not been very long, so you have no long-term results which might cause you to change your reasoning. Decide if you wish to be an investor or a speculator. You might order "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham from the FoolMart, also, to see the distinction and the different approaches one would need to follow depending on what kind of capitalist you wish to be.

Author: noviceinvestor Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54 of 3859
Subject: Re: Bad investing:PCTH&SYQT Date: 6/27/1997 4:34 PM
I appreciate the advice and have already begun reading your suggestions. I have not decided what type of investor to be although my past history tends to be more speculative.

I tend to buy stocks that have a significant increase in revenue over a number of quarters. I then look for the reasons for the growth i.e. superior products, innovative products etc. I than go to edgars and pull the most recent 10k or q and read the financials. My background is in accounting so I should be able to get a pretty good idea of how the company is doing financially, but I am by no means an expert.

I have only been investing a few years and have picked a number of winners (nextel, sithe energies, retix, boston tech). I have a feeling most of those were due to some analysis and a lot of luck. I am very much interested in becoming a "smarter" investor.

The cash I have tied up in the market now is mostly excess cash that was lying around in the bank earning a whopping 2%. I figured with my limited knowledge I could do better than that in the market. So far so good.

I will hold all of the stocks I own because I still see the same potential I saw when I first bought them. Any info on any of the following would be appreciated. vmrx, plsia, dssi,retx,iom(no info required), pcth, iflo,syqt.

Thanks

Author: decalr Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104 of 3859
Subject: Re: Bad investing:PCTH&SYQT Date: 12/3/1997 4:17 AM
Dear Jean,

Like you, I also bought shares (500) of SYQT last October 97. I bought them at 5 25/32. The stock went down since I bought them to $ 3.03125/share as of Dec 2, 1997.

I plan to hold on to this stock for now since I read from the Asian Wall Street Journal that Syquest Technology has introduced a new product called SparQ (I couldn't remember the exact name), which is a removable cartridge capable of storing more information than its competitor's (IOMEGA) zip cartridges. The journal also indicated that Syquest Technologies' cartridge is cheaper than IOMEGA. The journal's article is just an evaluation of the product and not an endorsement to buy SYQT. Basically, the journal advised buyers to take a wait and see approach before buying Syquest Technologies's new product since there are some bugs to be ironed out. The journal indicated though that these bugs should be fixed by Syquest Technologies in no time.

Keep me posted also if you have any information about SYQT.

Good luck!

Rene

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement