UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ohyes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308425  
Subject: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 12:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Tonight I tried opening up a Desert Schools Credit Union 15 month CD with a 5.25% interest rate with a minimum of $500 deposit. They said they couldn't open the account for me because they said someone else is using my social security number. They also said they wanted a letter from social security saying that I'm a who I say I am. I went on line and did a 3-in-one Credit report and found no new accounts opened at all. All three have my correct address. The only thing I saw was a JR that doesn't belong on my Experian report. My Fico score now is 802.

I also was told that in 2 days they will be offering a 21 month CD at 5.75% They also told me they would give me 5.25% for 15 months if I came back with the letter tommorow.

I guess I'll be waiting in the line from he__ at social security.

Any comments would be welcome.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Hohum77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232126 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 1:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<< Tonight I tried opening up a Desert Schools Credit Union 15 month CD with a 5.25% interest rate with a minimum of $500 deposit. They said they couldn't open the account for me because they said someone else is using my social security number. They also said they wanted a letter from social security saying that I'm a who I say I am. I went on line and did a 3-in-one Credit report and found no new accounts opened at all. All three have my correct address. The only thing I saw was a JR that doesn't belong on my Experian report. My Fico score now is 802. >>

How are you transacting with Desert Schools Credit Union- Physically present, online or via phone? Could the CU have mistyped your SS info? Any family members who might open a CD on your behalf?

Seems odd that the account opened was short/medium-term and doesn't involve running up charges

Author: ohyes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232133 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 6:56 AM
I was physically present at a branch and they told me this info. I'm waiting for 9 a.m. to get to Social Security and its will be hot outside for 2 hours.

I'm anticipating now a 4 hour wait to be seen.

Author: yddeyma Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232137 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 7:48 AM
Recommendations: 1
Not to freak you out, or anything, but did you read that article on MSNBC news about the lady whose identity had been stolen but no new credit had been opened? Basically, someone had stolen her SSN to open a checking account at BOA. Well, it turns out she already had one open at BOA. The way she found out about the theft was BOA mailed her one of those picture ID ATM cards with some random person's photo on it!

And get this, BOA and the credit bureau's said she couldn't have the other guy's info because he hadn't actually stolen any credit from her!

Author: mastiffmama Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232141 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 10:05 AM
They also told me they would give me 5.25% for 15 months if I came back with the letter tommorow.

This doesn't help with the credit problem, but you can probably earn that rate in an online bank account with less restrictive withdrawl rules. Emigrant is about to go to 5.15% and will probably be up to 5.25% in the next few months (according to my crystal ball).

At least you would avoid the SS office, you know?

mm

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232145 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 10:33 AM
Recommendations: 2
Did you ask them to ensure they put the correct SSN [as in, the one the other customer supplied] on the other person's account? I had a problem once where my DD's brokerage account had the wrong SSN because they mistyped one digit when the brokerage put it in. I didn't find out til they issued her tax paperwork for the year and I happened to notice it.

They insisted they had it right and that I didn't know her SSN. I insisted they had it wrong and needed to correct it. They did eventually correct it, but if someone with that other number had tried to open an account, they would have been told their SSN was already in use, even though it was an error on their part.

Once you get that letter from Social Security, I'd be really pushy that they correct the other person's account or close it if it is fraudulent use of your SSN. I'd push it through whatever channels are necessary to get it fixed, but although it could be fraudulent use, it could just as easily be an innocent error on the part of the bank.

Author: bronwyn1 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232155 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 12:07 PM
I haven't had experience with a credit union doing this, but mistyping a social security number is pretty common. When I started college and went to register for my first quarter of classes, I was told I had the wrong social security number when I had my correct one. Actually, someone at the school had transposed two numbers when putting my social into the computer system. It took them an entire school year to fix it and I had to use the "wrong" number the entire time ... thankfully, it wasn't the number of someone else at the college.

And when I get prescriptions filled, I have to remind whoever is doing it that I have two accounts on file and the one that lists X insurer is the correct one because someone mistyped some identifying info so sometimes the wrong account with outdated insurance info pops up. The right account actually lists my name with the words "Right account" in the name field. It gets a little annoying.

i.e. it may be the credit union screwing up. But, either way, good luck getting this resolved.

Author: ohyes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232163 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 12:53 PM
update......

I just got back from Social Security office (I was 8th in line) they ask me a few question where I worked the last few years and they couldn't detect any fraud.

I now have a letter at hand stating my social really is me.

OH by the Way there was a very polite lady in line with me who on disability gave me a bottle of water I was sweating it out. I promised to give some food to the food bank in Surpise so I be doing that today.

I hope this will resolve the problem they had at Desert School Credit Union.

Thanks everyone who posted on this thread.

Author: TMFJeanie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232165 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 1:22 PM
Recommendations: 4
They said they couldn't open the account for me because they said someone else is using my social security number.

That "someone else" could actually be you, with your name spelled wrong at the Social Security office. That happened to me five years ago when we moved to Maine and I went to get a new driver's license. The clerk at Motor Vehicles asked for my SSN and when she input it into her computer program, it came up "invalid". She had no other info and suggested I contact SSA.

It seems that back in 1970 when I reported my marriage to SSA, the person typed my new last name in a manner that barely resembles the correct spelling. My experience at ME Motor Vehicles is the first time anyone had ever performed a spot check on matching name to number in all those 30 years!

With proper documentation showing my legal name, DOB, etc., SSA happily corrected the spelling on their records, which, thankfully had been documenting my life's earnings correctly.

Jeanie

Author: ohyes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232173 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 3:18 PM
TMFJeannie I just got back from Desert Schools CU they flagged the account to the person who was using my social number. IN FACT now they can't do anything with Desert Schools till they clear it up with Social Security. They will be waiting 4 hours. I not sure IF I Should flag my Social account to this person. I am actually going to bed I really didn't sleep and doctor treating me is not going to be happy with me about this.

I am glad I in another credit union as they were offering a better deal on a promo CD special on new money.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232175 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 3:26 PM
I just got back from Desert Schools CU they flagged the account to the person who was using my social number. IN FACT now they can't do anything with Desert Schools till they clear it up with Social Security. They will be waiting 4 hours. I not sure IF I Should flag my Social account to this person. I am actually going to bed I really didn't sleep and doctor treating me is not going to be happy with me about this.

Let us know what happens. I'm curious to see how the error happened, or if this was a malicious use of your SSN by the other person.

I don't understand what you mean when you say you don't know if you should flag your Social Security account to this person.

Author: CSDunford Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232183 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/18/2006 4:37 PM
>>> I just got back from Social Security office (I was 8th in line) they ask me a few question where I worked the last few years and they couldn't detect any fraud. >>>

However, keep in mind that SSA keeps no credit information on file. All they have is reported wages. If someone was working at Wonky Burgers under your SSN, that would show up, but as far as getting the Wonky Burger Credit Card, you'll have to check your credit report for that. I'm willing to bet someone at the Credit Union typed your SSN in wrong.

CarolD.

Author: dove29 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232451 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/21/2006 12:16 AM
I'd want to make sure they typed my number in right.

Author: 10tugger Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232475 of 308425
Subject: Re: Bad news Really bad! Date: 7/21/2006 2:14 PM
I got 5.3% today from Schwab - 4 choices of different banks - for 3 months. Yield curve has lower rates for longer maturities

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement