Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: KNAR63 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Bad Personal Loan Date: 2/3/2000 1:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

If you loaned money to a relative and they can't ever pay it back due to unforseen circumstances. How would I go about deducting it.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26983 of 121585
Subject: Re: Bad Personal Loan Date: 2/3/2000 1:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
<< If you loaned money to a relative and they can't ever pay it back due to unforseen circumstances. How would I go about deducting it. >>

See "Nonbusiness Bad Debts" in IRS Publication 550.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

Author: Taxslave One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27005 of 121585
Subject: Re: Bad Personal Loan Date: 2/3/2000 3:06 PM
It is important to keep in mind that in order to be deductible the loan would have had to be an enforceable obligaion (executed note). This is especially true because you are dealing with a family member.

Secondly, the debt must be truly worthless, and you should have demonstrated an effort to collect.

If you had a properly executed promissory note from your relative, and your relative has declared bankruptcy, or you have made attempts at collections that have no possiblity of success, then you can collect.

Author: Taxslave One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27007 of 121585
Subject: Re: Bad Personal Loan Date: 2/3/2000 3:07 PM
Deduct not collect. Sorry

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement