UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31086  
Subject: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/5/2008 11:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
On HGTV (Sleep on it) there was a house in Bethesda Maryland which had a bamboo forest behind it. I would love to grow Bamboo outside my house in Colorado (5000 ft elevation). I have never seen it at a nursery, I didn't think it would grow in a cold climate. Does anyone know if I can grow it here??

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24697 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/6/2008 3:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<snip>
From then on out, the face of the Denver Zoo changed immensely. Moore used his experience to craft environments that not only suited and soothed the animals that lived in the zoo, but added to the overall experience of visitors.

“We brought in hardy bamboo and test grew some because we knew we wanted to use it in Primate Panorama,” he cited as an example. “Nobody had ever grown bamboo in Colorado before that we were aware of. We brought in 23 different species and ended up with about seven that we were able to use.”

http://www.eptrail.com/archives/2007/02february/02-02fri.html

Then there is this site that sells bamboo and claims to have helped establish it in Colorado.
4- Colorado Springs, 2- Denver, Paonia, Thorton, Aurora, Parker, Longmont, 4-Boulder,

http://www.lewisbamboo.com/locations.html

Just beware. Once established bamboo will take over - there is a way to control growth which you will want to research.

LJ

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24698 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/6/2008 5:02 AM
Thanks for the information. I am going to order some plants and try it!

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24699 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/6/2008 9:31 AM
Recommendations: 3
Does anyone know if I can grow it here??

If you can, watch it. Bamboo is invasive. Treat it like mint.

Bamboo will shoot runners out and come up 20 feet away from where it is growing. It will come up everywhere if you don't watch it. That bamboo forest may have only been intended as a couple plants

Ford

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24700 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/6/2008 10:50 AM
Recommendations: 2
Just beware. Once established bamboo will take over - there is a way to control growth which you will want to research.

I'm going to give this a second. There are places that it is literally against the law to plant bamboo because it is so invasive. Do the research first.
Kathleen

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24701 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/6/2008 10:51 AM
“Does anyone know if I can grow it here??”

If you can, watch it. Bamboo is invasive. Treat it like mint.

There are two types of bamboo, a clumping bamboo and a running bamboo. For everything you want to know about bamboo but didn’t know who to ask, go to http://www.americanbamboo.org/FAQ.html . ;-)

C.J.V.

Author: HGBG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24702 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/6/2008 11:09 AM
One of the techniques for bamboo is to insert a steel plate about 2 1/2 feet down around the area to be controlled. A friend in Charlotte, NC circled her "bamboo forest" with the plate, but the roots went underneath. Her neighbors now hate her.

Road maintenance crews really dislike bamboo. There are a number of local examples where bamboo crossed under 2 lane roads and attached to both sides. In those situations bamboo has to be cut down on an annual basis. It has become a very costly nuisance as bad as kudzu.

Barry

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24703 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/6/2008 3:01 PM
It will come up everywhere if you don't watch it. That bamboo forest may have only been intended as a couple plants

This is so true. What's pleasing to the eye is sometimes a maintenance nightmare. I like our big sassafras tree in the corner of our yard but it sends up shoots in the lawn and garden borders. It's a headache to deal with during the growing season.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24704 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 10:50 AM
This is so true. What's pleasing to the eye is sometimes a maintenance nightmare. I like our big sassafras tree in the corner of our yard but it sends up shoots in the lawn and garden borders. It's a headache to deal with during the growing season.

Yep, for us, a big nuisance is Mimosa trees. Gawd, those things pop up EVERYWHERE!!! I pick them out of every area of soil we have, then try to eliminate the ones near the fence line. They wind up in everything from the seedling pots to the large garden and everything between.
I hate them.
Kathleen

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24705 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 1:19 PM
“This is so true. What's pleasing to the eye is sometimes a maintenance nightmare. I like our big sassafras tree in the corner of our yard but it sends up shoots in the lawn and garden borders. It's a headache to deal with during the growing season.

Yep, for us, a big nuisance is Mimosa trees. Gawd, those things pop up EVERYWHERE!!!

I’ll trade you Chinese Tallow trees and/or Wax Myrtle fur your Mimosa trees. The Mimosas don’t do too well down here. ;-)

C.J.V. - but dem Chinese Tallows & Wax Myrtles do ;-(

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24706 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 2:24 PM
I have the same problem with Oaks.

Spring time it's the pollen. Our trees drop HUGE amounts of the stuff.

Then, where the squirrels have buried the acorns or they've dropped, we have baby oaks come up everywhere.

Fall rolls around and we have HUGE amounts of leaves that have to be blown, vaccumed, mowed, mulched or raked until every last one of them falls. Which just happens to bring up back to spring.

Stockbuyer2

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24707 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 3:15 PM

We have three oaks in the front yard and one huge one in the back. I just love those pollen fronds clogging up everything, blowing everywhere and all the oak leaves in the fall. They do go into the compost bins but what a chore to get them there. Our leaf vacuum has served is well, though. You always know when summer's nearly over by the sound of acorns popping on the roof of the house and rolling down into the gutters. The squirrels get their share, too. If only they had better memory capacity to find and eat what they leave.

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24708 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 3:23 PM
Recommendations: 4
A humorous but typical story of the person who grows bamboo: ;-)

http://www.time.com/time/columnist/jaroff/article/0,9565,319547,00.html

Author: HGBG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24709 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 3:28 PM
Our house is surrounded by 9 huge willow oaks that are each over 100 years old. The house has a flat roof. When the house was built, almost 100 years ago, the trees were not an issue.

Squirrels love to sling themselves from smaller trees on to the roof and then bury their nuts in the protective areas. Early in the morning you can hear them running around on the roof.

While everyone else is taking care of their lawns, several times each year I have to first go up and clear all the roof areas and gutters. It takes between 4 to 6 hours each time to simply clean the roof.

Barry

Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24710 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 3:48 PM
How grateful I am for each and every tree!

Pollen is a PITA (especially if you have allergies), but the benefits of shade and oxygen provided to the planet is well worth it...

LJ

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24711 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 4:00 PM

Pffftttt... Try walking across the lawn in bare feet when your yard is shaded by Sweetgums.

IF

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24712 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 4:04 PM
"Pffftttt... Try walking across the lawn in bare feet when your yard is shaded by Sweetgums."

IF

We had Sweetgums next to our home where we lived before.

I HATED those things.

You cannot mow them or they become missils.

My husband use to make us get out there to rake and bag the darn things.

Did I mention I HATE Sweetgum balls?

Stockbuyer2

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24715 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 8:43 PM
I kinda got a chuckle a few minutes ago.

Someone on Craigslist has Bamboo for free, you just need to go dig it up.

After everything I read in this thread, do you think it's like a mind control thing by bamboo, to take over the world? LOL!!!!

Stockbuyer2

Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24716 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/7/2008 10:32 PM
Where I work, one of the vendors sells bamboo shoots for a buck apiece. The kids all think they are really cool, and it is quite the thing to have...

Yes, I do think there may be some kind of a bamboo takeover in the works! ;-D

LJ

Author: wadigo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24722 of 31086
Subject: Re: Bamboo in Colorado??? Date: 2/8/2008 2:27 PM
How to 'contain' it seems to be the prevailing notion.
If you want a bamboo 'wall', get some of those big planting pots. Set them on something other than raw earth so a root shoot doesn't 'escape'. Keep an eye on it. Have at it. Those large planting pots can get real heavy after time. But hey, you can move your 'wall' with some help if you want later. Want a bamboo forest? Place the pots here and there, etc.
As others have mentioned, you can never get rid of it. It may hamper the sale of the place if/when you move.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement